If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hurricane Irene

Report or discuss current events in the Catskill Mountains.
dave

Hurricane Irene

Unread post by dave »

If you have information or pictures, please Email us at: irene@catskillmountaineer.com

Hurricane Irene is coming our way. Projected models show it's most probably path coming up eastern-to-central Connecticut. Another model shows it coming up the Hudson Valley as a Cat 2 hurricane. The most severe damage occurs on the western side of the hurricane. This means the eastern escarpment of the Catskills can have winds over 100+ MPH. This is exactly how the hurricane ledges on KHP were created. I cannot overemphasize the dangers of this hurricane. This may be the most powerful hurricane to hit the Catskill Mountains since November 28, 1950. There was two other damaging hurricanes in November 8-10, 1913 or October 22-25, 1923. Typically, hurricanes like Hurricane Irene can product anywhere from 5-15" of rain. Expect massive flooding.

The most dangerous areas will be: Windham High Peak, Acra Point, Blackhead Mountains, Stoppel Point, North Mountain, North-south lake, KHP, Plattekill Mountain, Indian Head Mountain, and Overlook Mountain. Anywhere along the eastern escarpment will be dangerous. The higher the elevation, the higher the winds. KHP and Blackhead may receive winds from 100-150 MPH (even with 50 MPH winds in the valley). Higher peaks will put you into the jet stream.

NOTICE: YOU SHOULD BE OUT OF THE WOODS BY NOON-TIME ON SATURDAY, AUGUST 27th! IF YOU HIKE ON SATURDAY, MAKE SURE YOU HIKE WITH OTHER PEOPLE. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT OVERNIGHT, YOU MAY BE KILLED BY FLYING DEBRIS OR FALLING TREES. WE CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THE DANGERS OF THIS HURRICANE!

UPDATE (08/27): NYS DEC is now recommending that people NOT hike on Saturday or Sunday. They too are predicting massive flooding, rain, and high winds.

UPDATE (08/28): The eye of the storm should pass east of Catskill Mountains around 2PM on Sunday. Rain fall totals should exceed 10+ inches of rain. Expect major flooding and many road closures.

mike

Re: Hurricane Irene

Unread post by mike »

I just heard that the projected track is shifting westward. This may mean that it will come up the Mid-Hudson Valley. Not good news.

We can only hope that if it scraps the east coast that this will slow down the winds.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Not a pretty picture... Regardless of track there will be at least one big city getting slammed. I'm going to try to get up to Devil's Path on Saturday if it's still nice. Then I'll be buckling down for the storm!
SNEAKers

A state of emergency was just declared for NY state:

"Governor Cuomo has declared a state of emergency in New York in preparation for the potential impact of Hurricane Irene, which may hit New York State this coming weekend.

The Governor is activating all levels of state government to plan for any situation that may be caused by the storm and the state government is carefully tracking the hurricane.

As the Governor readies the state, New Yorkers should personally prepare for serious storm conditions.

Click here to visit the Governor’s website, where you can find safety tips, the latest information on the hurricane, and links to critical services.

By working together and properly preparing in advance, we will all be able to face this storm in a calm and organized manner."
dave

Unread post by dave »

Preliminary prediction of rain is 6-8". But, this number will probably go up to 10-15" of rain. You should be prepared for high winds and massive flooding.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The projected path now looks like it will track more east then was expected. The storm is now moving faster. It should be here during Sunday Afternoon (about 6-8 hours sooner then expected).

but, it will still be quite a storm.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Rt 23 is closed towards Prattsville. They are expected flooding in the town with depths up to 3'

Tannersville is flooding - Rt 23a is closed!

Bridge in Tannersville (Rt 16) is flooded and impassible.

17% of Greene county is out of power.

Greene County declares a state of emergency - No road travel.

Rt 23a MAY also have serious issues. The road is undercut just after Moore's Bridge. If this section gives way, Rt 23a will be closed for an extensive amount of time.

Will try to get pictures later in the day, if weather permits.

Margaretville, NY Main street is completely under water. Pictures were just shown on CNN
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

I saw on the news that the town of Windham was completely flooded out.

While we didn't get the projected winds, we certainly got the rain! Where I live (Paterson, NJ), the total was 10 inches.

I am very concerned about washouts on Route 23A between Palenville and Haines Falls, through Kaaterskill Clove. A major washout could close the road for months.

Mike and I were hoping to hike again on Saturday (08/27/2011), but the forecast kept deteriorating as the week progressed. I can only imagine how spectacular Kaaterskill Falls must be - in spite of the extreme danger of approaching the falls during such an historic flood!
SNEAKers

I too had planned on hiking on Saturday. Originally planned to do Sugarloaf loop and go off to the 225 panoramic view point about 1 mile from the loop. As the forecast became worse I reduced the hike to Overlook Mountain. Woke up at 6:30 to make a game time decision, but it was already raining. So no hiking this last weekend. 

If I had the day off today I would have taken a day trip up to assess the damage in areas that were safe enough to do so. No such luck. I plan to do the Sugarloaf hike above this coming Saturday if weather permits!

Mike: look forward to any pictures you're able to get!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I do not have electric, internet, or phone. So I am at a public internet place. Have lots of pictures, but cannot upload right now. Here is what is happening:

1. Been to Windham. Main street is gone. Some houses are gone in the town. Road closed.
2. Rt 23 from east windam to windham is damaged in the west bound lane
3. All roads to Maplecrest are gone. No access for the foresee future
4. Two people killed in Maplecrest. One body recovered. Looking for the other.
5. Prattsville is also damaged and not accessible
6. Hunter - not too bad. Bridge to Hunter Mtn Ski bowl is damaged - one house about to fall into creek - but not that bad
7. Bridge out in Palenville - not sure which one - cannot get there
8. Bastion Falls was raging - got pictures - Rt 23a closed yesterday
9. Phoenicia was damaged, but I don't know how much
10. Margaretville had 3ft of water - on CNN
11. Tannersville flooded by the theater
12. back roads are severely damaged
13. Yesterday it took me 3 hrs to get from East windham to Bastion falls
14. Rt 214 was closed - not sure of the status
15. The National Guard has shown up - air lifting people out of remote regions by helicopter - lots of army vehicles
16 Hudson valley got 6-8 inches of rain - Mountain got 12+ inches - more in other places
17. Wind in the valley was 30-40 mph at the tail end, while the mountaintop was gettin 60-70 mph
18 escarpment got extreme wind - as predicted
19. The water level came up very quickly - and went down almost as fast.
20. In the remote regions - where we cannot get - probably got significant damage.

More to come when I can get pictures uploaded.