If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Huntersfield from the North side

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
mike

Huntersfield from the North side

Unread post by mike »

It was a very nice Spring day. We had planned on hiking the Kaaterskill amphitheater, but at last moment, we changed our mind. So we headed over to Huntersfield Road. We were able to drive in a couple hundred feet and parked by the small falls.

I always like Huntersfield this time of year. I commonly see Gray Comma butterflies and Morning cloaks. But, we were about a week early. Only saw two flying at a lower elevation. Next week they should be out in great numbers.

As soon as we parked, we noticed porcupine about 15 feet from the car. Got a few pictures, and hoped for the best. Porkies are great for chewing on tires for the salt. But, this guy just ventured up to the top of the tree.

Here are a few pictures:

Porcupine by our car

The beginning of our hike at the entrance to Huntersfield Road (dirt section on NYS land)

4' deep snow drifts on Huntersfield Road near the top of the pass

starting up the trail by the pass

Making our way to the Lean-to and summit

View from the Lean-to - view of Hunter, Rusk, Westkill, and Evergreen in the background

View from the Summit of Huntersfield - View of Richmond Mtn in the background

woodpeckers working on a rotting tree

One of the many wonderful conifer forest
mike

Re: Huntersfield from the North side

Unread post by mike »

We snowshoed from the car (2500') all the way up the mountain. Snow drifts were around 2900-3000'. They are there every year. On the south facing sections, there was no snow. But, there is still 1-2' of snow most of the way. But, it is melting very fast.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Hey Greg, Winter just isn't going to end. On an other note, I just love that porcupine picture. You can see the quills so clearly. The porkies I usually see just run away. Looks like a real nice day.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I like all four seasons. But, I like summer the least. The only way I would move to Florida is if I'm in a coma. It's okay with me if it stays cold. Happy to see snow come, and sad to see snow go.