If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Black Lab dog lost on Sugarloaf/Twin 12/13/09

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
dave

Black Lab dog lost on Sugarloaf/Twin 12/13/09

Unread post by dave »

A black lab was lost (or left behind) on Sugarloaf / Twin Mountains on the weekend of 12/12 - 12/13/09. Let us know if you see him.

A hiker did see him on Twin on Sunday.

This is the kind of hiker I would never hike with. If you were ever injuring, would they leave you behind to die? Apparently their dog wasn't that important. Cardinal rule of hiking: Never allow your group to separate without a very good reason. Separated groups are the ones who end up lost or dead. The peak you want to bag is not nearly as important as someone's life.
mike

Re: Black Lab dog lost on Sugarloaf/Twin 12/13/09

Unread post by mike »

I feel very sorry for the dog. Not sure how you lost track of your dog on a winter hike. From what I understand the dog had bleeding paws, and the owner didn't seem moved to pay extra attention to the dog. Nor, did they do anything to help the dog. I hope something good comes out of this incident.

I remember hiking Grinell's Glacier in 2001. We took the boat over the two lakes to start the hike up to the glacier. It was very hot (over 90 degrees), and the hike took all day. Part way into the hike, we ran into a 11 year old girl who was hysterical. She and her father started out the hike early in the day. Instead of taking the boat, they decided to save money and huff the entire hike on foot. After a couple of miles, the daughter was moving too slowly, so the father decided to leave her behind. He wasn't going to let his daughter dampen the enjoyment of his hike. So, he abandon her, and hiked out of sight. Part way across the second lake, the daughter encountered a group of grizzly bears. She ended up being surrounded by them. At this point she was terrified. She was lucky to get away unharmed. We ran into her part way into our hike. We had her join our group. When we got back to the boat, we bought her a ticket back to the hotel. Ironically, she beat her father back to the hotel. It was a horrible experience for this poor 11 year old girl. She almost lost her life due to an irresponsible father. This is a good example of why you have to travel as a group. This guy was incredible stupid, and it almost ended in tragedy. Rule #1 on hiking, everyone travels at the rate of the weakest hiker. This rule is even more important in the Winter.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wisdom and experience are so important to hiking. Especially in the winter. You have to make sure that everyone in the group is having fun, and doing well. Some people will hide a problem they are having. Better to abandon a hike then to have someone injured or die.

Mike, what an incredible story about the 11 year old girl.
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

I missed that hike to Grinell Glacier. But, I do remember the story. I guess that she learned that her father was a jerk.