If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Indian Head 2013-08-03

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
kennykb

Indian Head 2013-08-03

Unread post by kennykb »

View south from Indian Head by ke9tv, on Flickr

Things are finally settled enough on the home front that I managed to get out and hike on Saturday. Did Indian Head (solo, because I was getting out on short notice and didn't find anyone to bring along). Bluebird-perfect weather. Trip report with more pictures over at http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2013/08/i ... 08-03.html.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Re: Indian Head 2013-08-03

Unread post by mike »

Glad to hear that you are back out there. I usually do Indianhead the other way. I think it is easier. It was a nice weekend to be out hiking. I did a small hike on Saturday. I had planned on hiking on Sunday, but didn't.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice trip report (even if I have to click the link). Those blueberries look mighty fine! I forgot that they have blueberries on IH and Twin. Over the past month the weather has been less then great, so I haven't been paying attention. I totally missed it. This past Sunday would have been a great day to go hiking.

Nothing wrong with solo hiking. Just need a plan if something happens. Hiking solo on a trail is pretty safe. Lots of traffic. A little more critical in the winter.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

mike wrote:Glad to hear that you are back out there. I usually do Indianhead the other way. I think it is easier. It was a nice weekend to be out hiking. I did a small hike on Saturday. I had planned on hiking on Sunday, but didn't.
To each his own. I'd rather take the scrambles up than down. It's easier to read my foot placement, and less wear and tear on my knees. (I have old injuries in both of them.)

The tree in the corkscrew chimney has shifted again. The easiest way up looks to be, squeeze under the tree, climb the crack until you're on top of the tree, and then mantel up the left-hand side (trying to avoid going over the cliff with the final lunge). I don't know what the heck we'll all do when that tree finally rots away entirely.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I've done it both ways. I don't like climbing up the corkscrew.