If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Plateau - 3/10/2013

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
TrunksWD

Plateau - 3/10/2013

Unread post by TrunksWD »

I ended up hiking Plateau with my two hiking buddies. We got to the trailhead at about 12. There was no snow in Phoenicia, but by the time we got to the trailhead there was atleast a foot of snow. There was about a 2 feet of snow at the top of the mountain, but it had been walked on enough that we only used microspikes. We only sunk into the snow a little bit at the top. This was my 10th winter peak. 25 to go for my winter badge.

Trailhead.

Trail at the beginning of the hike.

A little bit of a view part of the way up.

Myself when I stepped just off of the trail.

Hunter mountain at the main lookout.

Kaaterskill at the second lookout.

Hiking on the top of the mountain to the peak.

Blackhead range in the distance.

Just before we made our way down. It was about 5.
Jon

Re: Plateau - 3/10/2013

Unread post by Jon »

i really like that last picture. great shots up there. Gotta bring the snowshoes next year!
TrunksWD

We had the snowshoes with us, but we didn't really need them. It had been packed down enough it wasn't a problem. Though on the way back down the trail was really slippery that I couldn't get any grip with my microspikes. I ended up sliding a good amount of the way since I had snow pants on.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

That last pic is one of my favorite viewpoints in the Catskills (that I've been to)! I hiked Plateau last of all the eastern Devil's Path peaks. Had I know it was so great I would have done it much sooner.

Looks like a great time, thanks for the pics!
TrunksWD

Plateau was my second high peak. Indian Head was my first. I had forgotten how good the view point was. after we got to the peak I got way ahead of my hiking buddies on the way back and I waited for them for about 20 minutes at that view point. Sitting their alone for so long was fantastic. First time I've ever been alone at a view point in the Catskills. It makes me want to hike alone up there now.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Great pictures. Looked like a real nice day to be out hiking. I always like the view of RT and KHP. Gives a real image of what it is like.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Sitting at viewpoints alone is a rare experience in the summer, but I do love it!

This is from one of the viewpoints on Plateau... There are two rocks that almost form a recliner chair that is quite comfortable. I was lucky enough to enjoy it for a short time alone...

Sherman's Outlook on Indianhead is another great solo spot! I've had a few solo hangouts there and really enjoyed them.