If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Overlook Mountain picture

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
SNEAKers

Overlook Mountain picture

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Just wanted to share a picture from Overlook Mountain's viewpoint from a hike I did sometime this summer.

Hope you guys enjoy it!
Jon

Re: Overlook Mountain picture

Unread post by Jon »

in-freakin-credible
mike

Unread post by mike »

Great picture. Nice and clear too. Usually it is so hazy.
SNEAKers

Thanks.
Mike I have a B+W circular polarizer, which helps cut down on the haze. I am looking to get a UV filter which would do a better job, but stacking that on the lens as well will likely cause vignetting.

I know some people hate the carvings in the rock, but I think they add to the picture. Granola bar wrappers and garbage left behind makes me crazy, much worse than rock carvings. At the end of every hike I usually have a bag with some garbage in it that I've picked up... Grrrrrr!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I have tried a UV/haze filter. I think that a circular polarizer is the right filter. HDR might have made the rock lighter, but I still like it. I do not think that the rock carving detracts from the picture.

You need to be careful picking things up around Overlook. Sometimes rattlesnakes are sitting in the low bushes. As long as it is 52 degrees are lower, they usually stay in the den. But, do come out up into December.
SNEAKers

Yup, on Overlook I am very careful to not be in the bushes or high grass!

I still have yet to see a rattlesnake up there, even though I've looked and looked. Just can't seem to find the right weather and day to line up yet. I may just wait until next summer.
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Great shot Sneakers! Love the crisp-quality! Two hundred years ago they would've hauled an easel and some paints up there, now we're hauling cameras ;) Still awe inspiring!
SNEAKers

Thanks Sam! I really like the Overlook hike for this viewpoint alone, but add in the snakes, fire tower, ruins and a drive through Woodstock (in that order!) and I love it. Though I haven't seen any rattlers, both times I have hiked Overlook I have seen Garter Snakes.

Funny thing is I haul 15 or so lbs of camera equipment and tripod around and take 95% of pictures with my iPhone! People often laugh at me when they see that!
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Yes, when I was just getting into hiking, I would make pilgrimages up to Overlook Mtn/Echo Lake several times a month. The cliffs up there are amazing and offer many fine views. Haven't seen any rattlers either. A local guy named "Chuck" offered to show me the den sites, but this was a while back and never got around to taking him up on the offer. They move very slowly and are in no rush, of course if you step on one, then it's a different story :o . I've seen them in the Gunks around Verdeeker Falls (another awesome place for you take your photography gear and set up shop).