If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Looking for Hike in Indian Head Mtn Range

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
pamcheta

Looking for Hike in Indian Head Mtn Range

Unread post by pamcheta »

Hello All! I am new to the forum. I was hoping to do a hike that is approximately 10 miles in the Indian Head Mountain Range. My self and hiking buddy are in excellent physical condition and we are looking for something that meets the following criteria:

1) A good steep incline/strenuous
2) Great views
3) Length 10 miles, in a loop if possible
4) While challenging is key, we do NOT want something that is considered dangerous, would potentially require rock climbing equipment, or is considered needing expert hiking knowledge.
5) In/close to Indian Head Mountain Range

Any help would be much appreciated since I am unfamiliar with this area. Thanks so much!
Jon

Re: Looking for Hike in Indian Head Mtn Range

Unread post by Jon »

If you are new to hiking the catskills I would suggest checking out some of the hikes that they have listed here:

http://catskillmountaineer.com/hiking.html

They have maps and GPS tracks and mileage and some pictures so you can see what you're getting yourself into. There are lots of options for many skill levels. I think it even tells you levels and dangers and things like that in some of the hike reports.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

I'm going to have to take some liberties with "ten miles or so", because a loop hike of ten miles is virtually certain to involve roadwalking on Platte Clove Road/CR16. But there are a few possibilities that are slightly shorter that offer possible side trips and might fit your desires nicely.

1. One possibility would be to come up Devil's Path from either Prediger Road or the Platte Clove Preserve, traverse Indian Head, optionally make a side trip to the summits of Twin, and then return to your car by way of Jimmy Dolan Notch. That would visit Sherman's Lookout and several good views from the summit ridge of Indian Head. (Note that there is no view from the summit itself.) It would also take in Plattekill Falls if you were to start from the preserve. http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-indianhead.html shows the route, although I'd prefer doing it clockwise rather than counterclockwise. I feel safer scrambling up than down.

2. Or park at Roaring Kill, climb Sugarloaf by way of Mink Hollow and come back down Pecoy Notch. That would visit Dibble's Quarry, skirt a pretty beaver pond, get some more nice views from the summit ridge, and offer possible side trips to Twin (including the cave on the west side) or to Plateau. http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-sugarloaf.html

Each of these hikes is about seven miles without the optional side trips. They don't require technical climbing unless they're icy, but they are extremely challenging. If you're not used to hiking steep grades on sandstone and shale, take it easy at first. The sedimentary rock is treacherous compared with the granite up North.

3, If you're not in the mood for a lot of scrambling, you can get a much more gradual out-n-back with side trips by parking at the Plattekill Preserve, and hiking the Overlook Turnpike as far as the ruins of the Overlook Mountain House. Include side trips to the Codfish Point quarry, the Overlook fire tower, and Echo Lake, and you have about your ten miles. http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-overlook.html This hike is one of my favorite short backpacks, with a stay at Echo Lake. Do the fire tower and Codfish Point on the outbound leg, and Echo Lake on the return, or vice versa, and it'll feel almost as if it were a loop. Besides, it's hard to get tired of views like this:

View from the Overlook Mtn ledge by ke9tv, on Flickr

Don't miss the side trip to Plattekill Falls! http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2012/04/t ... -1213.html

If you like, you can also follow an unblazed woods road west from the Codfish Point junction to a second quarry, and even bushwhack south to the summit of Plattekill Mountain; there's also a pretty overlook above Echo Lake just beyond. http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-plattekill.html (Don't attempt the summit without a topo map and good orienteering skills!) The Plattekill Mountain excursion would be a better trip on snowshoes or skis; the views aren't that great when the leaves are on the trees.

All of these hikes are on NY/NJ Trail Conference map #141.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I would look at doing Indian Head Mtn and Twin Mtn loop. Has lots of steep inclines. Twin has a 5-star view and is quite spectacular on a clear day. Indian Head has two challenges that can be difficult. The cork-screw. It has a 6-10' drop if coming from Twin. Looks more difficult then it is. Then there is the descent down Sherman's Ledge. There are good roots to hang onto as you climb down. Some like to climb up it, and others like to climb down it. You don't need climbing gear for either. But, it is challenging.

Sugarloaf is another challenging hike. 600' of steep vertical on the east side and 1200' of steep vertical on the west side. It does go in a loop. Views not as great, so that might be a problem.

Another good hike is the Blackhead Mtn Range. Steep inclines and great views from Blackhead Mtn and Black Dome Mtn. Can be done in a loop. Not too far from the Indian Head Mtn Range. I prefer this hike to the Indian Head Mtn Range.

Another good hike is Westkill and St Anne Mtns. It is a loop. Both have steep inclines and great views.

None of the DEC trails in the Catskills require climbing gear. But, some do get quite steep and challenging.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I don't know if the Devil's Path is steeper then some other trails in the Catskills. But, it seems to be more challenging. The rocks are bigger and more jagged. Wittenberg & Cornell seems to be similar to the Devil's Path. Blackhead might be a little steeper, and smoother climb.