If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Devil's Path in one day - take 1

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
SNEAKers

Devil's Path in one day - take 1

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Sunday brought beautiful weather and I had a chance to have a ride back to my car after trying to do Devil's Path in one day...  I tried and failed, but am still glad with the results, enjoyed the hike and will try again until I make it!

I got to the trailhead on Prediger Rd at 6:30am.  Made it to the summit of Indianhead at exactly 8:00. 

Got to the panoramic view on the first Twin peak at 8:40.

At 9:10 trail junction to begin the climb to Sugarloaf.

At 10:05 summit of Sugarloaf.  Saw two sets of Grouse near the summit, first set was two adults and three babies and second set was two adults and three or four babies.  It is possible they were the same ones, but I don't think they were. 

At 10:55 trail junction to go up Plateau. 

At this point, my knees were hurting pretty bad and as I climbed Plateau the pain continued to get worse.  I made it to the top of Plateau relatively quickly and took a break for about 30 minutes.  A couple was stopping at the lookout I was on and they were nice enough to give me two Advil.  I took them and knew I wasn't making the whole trail because my knees just weren't going to be able to handle it.  

At this point I decided to hike the remainder of the way to Devil's Tombstone at a normal pace to enjoy the rest of the day on the trail.  I hiked with two people along the way and had a great time. We stopped at Danny's lookout and had a relaxing lunch.  I'm glad I did Plateau slowly especially because it was the only Eastern Devil's Path mountain that I hadn't done before.  The summit walk is really nice and I think the viewpoints may be my favorite along Devil's Path. 

For the next attempt I plan to go just as fast on the uphill sections.  As for the downhills, I will go slower and gentler instead of running, jumping and rock hopping.  Other than my knees and beginning to blister feet I had plenty of energy left so I know I can make it if my knees can! 
mike

Re: Devil's Path in one day - take 1

Unread post by mike »

You were making some very good time! But, there are so many ups-and-downs. I can understand why your knees hurt.

The top of Plateau is a very nice walk. I always find it very enjoyable.

I don't think I have seen any bunnies up there. But, I am sure if you get there early enough you will see them. Nice find!

Sounds like you had a good day.
SNEAKers

Yup, it was pretty grueling, but I really did love every bit of it!

Here are a few pics. The first one was taking on Platte Clove Rd at about 6:15. I loved the split fog look that was going on!

The view of the beginning of the trail.

One of the viewpoints, might have been one of the Twin peaks but I don't remember. 
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

That picture from Platte Clove Road is so sweet! Yup, the last picture looks like it is from Twin.

Nice trip report. You made very good time on what I regard as the hardest part. There is some pretty tough hiking in that region. Once you get down Plateau, the terrain gets smoother. Still some steep climbs, but not as rocky.

Sorry to hear about your knee hurting. Hope it gets better.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Yeah, that picture on Platte Clove road is real nice.

Ambitious plans to do the entire trail in one day. But, many have done it before.
SNEAKers

Thanks guys, I wish I had taken that roadside pic with my good camera and tripod, but was already late to the trailhead.

Definitely an ambitious goal, but if your goals aren't ambitious then what's the point? ;) My knees finally have stopped hurting as of this morning. I will be trying again very soon, possibly this weekend!