If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

How many of you have done Devil's Path in one day?

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
SNEAKers

How many of you have done Devil's Path in one day?

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Looking to try it before the end of August. I'll have a car somewhere towards the middle as an opt out point.

Going to go East to West, any recommendations for or against going that direction?

Will post a trip report regardless of how far I get!
mike

Re: How many of you have done Devil's Path in one day?

Unread post by mike »

I have never done it in one day. But, many people have. The record was set by Ben Nephew last year. Somewhere around 5+ hours. Naturally, he ran it. But, he is a world class trail runner.
SNEAKers

I remember reading that here awhile back. That is absolutely crazy! I don't even know how you could run on DP!
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I'd like to try doing that. Go light, have water filled up waiting at devil's tombstone and just zip along.

Figure if you go 3 mph avg (that's quite fast) with little breaks I'm sure you could do it in 9 hours including breaks.

Also plenty of places you can pick up a lot of speed. Like on Plateau and on Hunter and Going down westkill, that's a lot of distance that you can cover at a fast clip. The thing that'll slow you down is the eastern part I think. I would say try doing that first, and then by the time you're in a good burn you have the last 3 long mountains that you can go faster on.

You're head might explode and your heart might jump out of your chest, and there'd be very little time for pictures.

Sounds like fun though!
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Hikers usually do it in 8 or 9 hours. For the 25 miles, that does work out to be around 3 mph. I think there are enough flatter sections that you could pick up some speed. I think it would help if you knew the terrain well too. Being young would help a lot. :)
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

I hope to hike the entire Devil's Path over one day at somepoint. Though I know I'm not in good enough shape to do it in a reasonable amount of time. I might be able to keep up an average pace of 1.5 miles / hour with the shape I am in right now. (I generally hike 3 to 4 mph when hiking locally, but that is without any major elevation). That would come out to about 16 to 17 hours to hike the entire Devil's Path. That is if my knees don't give out on me, which has been the biggest weakness on longer hikes of done.

Also my 2 usual hiking partners said they will never do it in one day, though they would do it over two days. We would probably camp at Devil's Tombstone or stay in a hotel. That would be a good indicator if I could do it straight through.
SNEAKers

Good idea Trunks. The two people I went with who were helping me with car logistics initially wanted to try the two day hike first. They did that with no problem while I attempted the through hike on their second day. After doing the two day hike they said that they're not going to attempt the one day.

I failed at the through hike when I tried last summer, but made it to the Plateau summit in about 4 hours approaching from the easy side. My downfall was actually going way too fast DOWN the mountains. I pounded my knees especially bad on the way down Sugarloaf. It was pretty frustrating because I had plenty of energy left, but my knees were shot!

I will be attempting this again this summer and if I can keep the pace I did going up hill, but be much gentler on the way down I know I can make it!
TrunksWD

Car logistics are very important. If I try it by myself I'll need someone to drop me off, plus a car at 214 just in case my knees give out. I'll probably start the hike with Indian head. I'll also have water and food at the car at 214, so I don't have to carry a ton of water.

Good luck with your second attempt. If its possible to get a cool day in June, then that is the perfect time due the amount of daylight. Especially for someone like me who needs every second of daylight I can. If I start the hike at 6AM, I probably won't finish until 9PM - 10PM.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I believe that Ben Newphew ran it in 5 hr and 35m a couple years ago. It is 24 miles long.
TrunksWD

mike wrote:I believe that Ben Newphew ran it in 5 hr and 35m a couple years ago. It is 24 miles long.
I would be lucky if it took me three times longer than him. He must be in insanely good shape to do it that fast. I really have to start pushing myself. I need more hiking buddies, especially for the Catskills.