If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Trail conditions??

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
Wolfie2nd

Re: Trail conditions??

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Jon wrote:i would vote for pack em. They're only a few pounds. We didn't on our expedition up Wittenberg on Sunday and paid the price with time and my buddy almost slipping right off the mountain. Wittenberg is more southern than devil's path, and they all have thick pine forests on top that shade the trails from the sun during the day. Even in 80 degree temps anywhere else, it's like a refrigerator on top of some of those mountains.
So would you say microspikes or crampons?
I've still got till the last weekend in march/beginning of april.. I'm really hoping this awesome weather holds up so I can hit the trail with 3 season gear..
And once again thank you to everyone for your info..
mike

Unread post by mike »

I am sure almost all of it is melted now. There might be a few places that have a little bit. By next weekend there should be none. When I drove past Blackhead this morning, I could not see any white anywhere.
Wolfie2nd

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Ok 2 more days left.... Has anyone been out on devils path to give me an up to date report on any possible ice that might be hiding on the trail???
mike

Unread post by mike »

From what I have heard there is no snow left in the Catskills. Everyone is saying that the trails are clear. Today it is near freezing and we are getting showers. We might get some snow showers somewhere, but it should melt quickly. If in doubt, bring microspikes.
cgeigel

Unread post by cgeigel »

Does anyone know the extent of the ice on Indian Head; specifically, the headwall area? Thank you!