If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Inidan Head conditions

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
mrsmileyns

Inidan Head conditions

Unread post by mrsmileyns »

Hi there,

I'd like to do a loop hike like this, this coming saturday:

http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/indian-head-mountain-loop

I was wondering what the conditions were? I have spikes but do not have snowshoes. We have head very little snow this year but I am not sure what the catskill conditions are.

Any info would be great and appreciated.

Thanks.
mike

Re: Inidan Head conditions

Unread post by mike »

It has been very icy. Microspikes for sure. Cramp-ons are even better. No need for snowshoes at this point. Maybe it will melt a little more this week.

I did two hikes this past weekend. The first hike had ice the entire way. Very treacherous! The second hike had NO ice.

This coming weekend might have very icy conditions, or it may have melted off by then. Bring cramp-ons and microspikes. Maybe a rope if you feel uncomfortable about descending down pure ice cover rocks.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

You might consider hiking up the west side and making the summit. Then back track and climb Twin.

Once you drop down below the cork screw, you are committed to the steep ledge below Sherman's Outlook. If you really want to do it, bring a rope to help you descend. The Devil's Path can be dangerous when icy.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

I hiked Dutcher's Notch this past weekend. There was no snow or ice at all towards the bottom. As I ascended, the trail had packed hard snow with an icy top layer and other areas that were just ice. If these are the conditions on Indianhead (which I've hiked in the summer and really enjoy) you will need the equipment listed above. Be very careful and have fun!
mrsmileyns

Unread post by mrsmileyns »

thanks a lot for the input - i am pretty new to ice hiking so i think i'll start "smaller" stay in harriman this weekend and do indian head/devil's path in the spring