If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

over look mountain closed irene

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
erik7181

over look mountain closed irene

Unread post by erik7181 »

Even though the DEC states that all the trails are closed a lot of them are open and hikable.
I work for the bored of ed in NYC as a custodian, we work all year round, so after 40 hours over time for irene I decided I was takeing off four days to go to my house in Phoencia and do a little hikeing,
I was worried when the ny/nj trail confrence on facebook posted all trails in the catskills were closed. So I knew I wanted to do overlook so I stoped by on my way up and found it was not only opened but packed. So sat I hiked it and it was great. I went to katterskill falls expecting the same but sadly I was wrong it was in fact closed so I went to a place called the chimney hole in boiceville and walked that. Overall I had a great time.
mike

Re: over look mountain closed irene

Unread post by mike »

We have had some very long conversations with the DEC about the closing of "managed properties". Late Friday, they said that if the trail head had a "Closed" sign, then you could not hike. Glad to hear that you could hike Overlook Mtn. Did you see any rattlesnakes up there?

Kaaterskill Falls was closed on September 3rd because the trail was washed away. It was truly dangerous.

Glad to hear that you had a good time.