If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Overlook Mountain Hike - 7Aug2011

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
SNEAKers

Overlook Mountain Hike - 7Aug2011

Unread post by SNEAKers »

I’m new to the forum, but have been using the site to pick some good hikes (thanks for the hard work and great information). My friend has a house in the Cairo area and we have been hiking during the weekend trips we take up there.

Yesterday, we hiked Overlook Mountain to look for Timber Rattlers. The weather was threatening, but sunny, hot and humid on the way up. The rain held out until we got to the trail junction between Echo Lake and the Fire Tower. It poured up to the Fire Tower and all the way back down to the parking lot, but cooled us off and was quite refreshing.

Here are a few pictures I took throughout our hike:

First and only snake we saw… This was about ¼ of a mile from the parking lot in the morning when the sun was still out. This little Garter Snake was coiled up on the leaves on the right hand side ditch next to the trail at the base of a small rock formation.

A neat tree growing from the cracks in the rocks:

The Overlook Mountain House ruins, there were a lot of people around the trail, especially for a day that was going to be pretty rainy.

More shots of the ruins:

Water supply:

Ledges off to the left just before reaching the summit:

A shot from the Fire Tower in the rain… Windy, wet and cold up there!

A shot towards the ruins and communication tower:

We didn’t see any rattlers, even though we looked for some time. There were 3 different people who reported seeing them to us. A woman who was coming down the trail just below the ruins, a couple who saw one just above the ruins and a man who saw one just below the fire tower. We weren’t lucky enough to find any, but we will definitely be back on a sunny day. Still a very enjoyable day out on the mountain!
mike

Re: Overlook Mountain Hike - 7Aug2011

Unread post by mike »

Great story and pictures! Welcome to the forum. Glad to see that we helped you find some good hikes. Hope to see more trail reports in the future.

You can usually find rattlers from the hotel up to the fire tower. But, they can also show up all the way down to the parking lot. You are most likely to find them from the hotel to the fire tower on a sunny day. If you go up the fire tower, sometimes you can see exactly where they are. You just want to make sure you never get tagged by one. I wouldn't venture off the trail to find one when the leaves are on the trees.

A couple years ago, I took someone up to the tower. I was upset that we didn't see any rattlers. We were sitting at the picnic table talking about it. Someone interrupted me to say that there was one 15' away. Go figure!
SNEAKers

Thanks! Definitely do not want a bite from a Rattler... A hemotoxin cocktail is not fun stuff!

There were two volunteers at the Fire Tower cabin and they showed me a few spots they often are in. With the sun I know that we will have success, just got out there on a marginal day! Look forward to going back.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Great pictures. On a sunny day, you can usually find them pretty easy. While not that long, they are as thick as a man's arm. Pretty hard to see them in the woods. The tan ones blend in with the leaves really good. Seen them on the trail to Echo Lake and around Echo lake. Can can swim too.
SNEAKers

Thanks! I'm looking forward to better luck this weekend... We will be watching the meteor shower Friday night into Saturday morning. Then hiking on Saturday!

In terms of just finding Timbers, which would be the better choice: Tremper or Overlook? It doesn't seem like it could get much better than Overlook being that the day was less than ideal and we just missed a few of them.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Overlook Mtn for sure. There are 7 dens on Overlook Mtn. About 700 rattlers total. The summit is the best place to find them. Fairly safe also. As long as you don't start walking in the woods.

Tremper has 1 den, which is in the rock quarry about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. Harder to find them. The best place is to walk into the quarry. Not the safest place if you are looking to see them. I would take a guess there are about 75-100 on the mountain.

The key to seeing them is a nice sunny afternoon. If the clouds come rolling in, they will go back into their hiding spot. When the sun comes out they will come out again.

Let us know how you make out. We always like to see pictures.
SNEAKers

Yup, ALWAYS stay out of the tall grass in rattler areas! Thanks for the numbers, will probably try Overlook again this weekend.

Will certainly keep the pics coming and have a few from previous hikes that'll I'll try to post up soon.

More to come this weekend!