If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Devil's Path Current Conditions

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
kristoria

Devil's Path Current Conditions

Unread post by kristoria »

I'm going to be doing the Devil's Path this weekend. Anybody know if snowshoes and or campons would be necessary? The information I have gathered thus far is that there is no snow accumulation on the trail but that a weather system moving though currently. The weekend will be sunny. And I should expect ice above a certain elevation and so crampons might be nice but no snowshoes?

Also, I just want to doublecheck, no potty facilities available at any of the lean-tos? I did half of the DP and didn't notice any but I wasn't exactly looking for them either. I think we'll just end up pitching our tents along the way as I think they might be warmer than a 3-sided lean-to??

Since our tents will be off the trail, you don't suppose anyone would be crazy enough to shoot us in our sleep thinking that its an animal? I'm thinking of setting up camp a short walk in from the trailhead. My tent is green, my friend's tent is orange. Should be okay, no? I'm worried though about getting shot while going to the bathroom or going to the creek to get water. I guess I'll be leaving my fur trapper hat at home. :?

Cheerio.

Kristoria
mike

Re: Devil's Path Current Conditions

Unread post by mike »

Last weekend, the trails were pretty much just dirt. Today, the DP received 4-5" of rain. It may change to ice or snow on the backside of the storm. Today we just have flooding. But, they the weekend, that should not be a problem. But, I would venture to guess that you will be able to hike it with just boots. I will have a better idea tomorrow or Friday. You may need microspikes. Cramp-ons at most. Snowshoes will not be needed.

I don't think that there is an outhouse at most lean-tos. There is an outhouse at the lean-to at the end of Indian Head Mtn. You can camp along the DP under the following rules:

A. You must be 150' off the trail.
B. You must camp below 3500' (below the 3500' signs). Above 3500' after Dec 21.
C. You cannot pitch your tent in the Lean-to.

Most hunters do not hunt up high. Be careful at dusk and dawn. But, you should wear a blaze-orange vest. You can get them in Walmarts for less then $5. It is going to get in the 20's at night this weekend, and in the 30's during the day. I don't think that you will have a problem with hunters. Camping in the lean-to is safer because the hunters know where they are, and stay away.

There is a campground at notch lake. But, it is closed for the season.

I presume that you are doing a car spot at the end of Spruceton Road and at the TH to Indianhead Mtn. You can get cell phone reception on parts of the trail if you have Verizon. There is also a taxi service in Hunter/Tannersville.
kristoria

Thank you so much for the information. If you have any other news of the conditions we won't be leaving Toronto until Friday at noon.

I noticed that campsite as well, the one that is closed, The Devil's Tombstone. Are we allowed to pitch a tent there even if its closed? Or is it a better idea to pitch the tent outside the campground boundaries. I just want a place to ditch the car and set up camp.

We're going to do it East to West. We're thinking of setting up camp someplace near the Devil's Tombstone. Driving out Saturday to the Eastern Terminus. Hiking back to camp. On Sunday I'll be meeting up with another friend with a car at the Devil's Tombstone and so we're going to do a car shuffle Sunday am.

Thank you again! This is such a great site.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I went out to check conditions today. Didn't see any snow or ice on the DP. But, I didn't climb any of the mountains. I would bring Microspikes. May not need them.

The weather forecast is calling for a possible chance of snow flurries. I would expect temperatures between 20-35 degrees.

I don't see why you can't sleep at the campground or around it. They may have a sign up forbidding camping.

Have fun!
kristoria

Thank you Greg! Thank you Mike!
Nasrettin Hoca

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

Well, it snowed lightly the entire day. There was ice in places. Wind only on the Hunter Tower. There, it was crazy windy. Like hang onto the handrail windy. Stay down below treeline and calm but cold.

All in all it was terrific! No one took shot at us all day. Probably a little cold for hunters who need to sit and wait. Though we didn't see any deer either. Except on the roads.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Glad to hear that your group had a good time. If you got any pictures, please post. We all like to virtual hike.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

It was very windy and cold. This time of year can be a great time to do the DP. The blow on Hunter can be significant when it is windy. Twin has a great view. Hope you found the views of Spruceton Valley. Some people miss the view point.
Nasrettin Hoca

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

You'll want to keep your eye on this when walking under it.
Eastern side. Devils Path. Not far up from 214 Parking.
kristoria

Saturday Dec 4 Eastern Terminus of the DP. A lot of ice present on trail. I was not comfortable wearing crampons for fear of snagging and snapping an ankle. Plenty of dry rock as well, just have to be very, very careful.
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.