If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Indian Head and Twin overnight this weekend. Water Report

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
srabadan

Indian Head and Twin overnight this weekend. Water Report

Unread post by srabadan »

Hi Everybody, first post.

My buddy and I are looking to do an overnight this weekend on a Twin and Indian Head loop.

We got stuck without water about this time last year, I was hoping someone has done this hike in the last few days and could tell me if there are any water sources in the mountains for us. I really don't like humping two days worth of water up those hills.

Any help you can give us would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
kennykb

Re: Indian Head and Twin overnight this weekend. Water Report

Unread post by kennykb »

We've had a lot of rain the last day or two, and it's been a wet summer, so I don't expect any problems with normally available water sources. Having the springs run dry has not been an issue this year!

Nevertheless, the section you're talking about is waterless. After the spring and creek by Devil's Kitchen lean-to, there are no water sources anywhere near the Devil's Path until you come to Mink Hollow, except that in wet weather the trail on the west side of Sugarloaf is a stream. The stream in Jimmy Dolan Notch should be running, but you have to climb down a long way to get to it. The one on Pecoy Notch, if you're planning to do that side of Twin, never fails, but it's an even longer climb down. (Treat all the water in Pecoy Notch. There are beavers and muskrat everywhere.)

If I were doing those as a loop, I'd probably do both of them on the same day, and camp at one of the sites up the unmarked trail behind the Devil's Kitchen lean-to. Or if I were feeling up to it, I'd just hump the water up to Jimmy Dolan Notch and camp at one of the dry campsites near the overlook.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.