If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New Viewpoint on the Devils Path (Jimmy Dolan Notch)

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
rkugel

New Viewpoint on the Devils Path (Jimmy Dolan Notch)

Unread post by rkugel »

This past Friday (October 5th), I took advantage of one of the few nice days of the entire year, and took a vacation day to do some hiking in the Catskills. I parked at Prediger Road and hiked the Devil's Path. I did Twin (both peaks) and Indian Head. The weather was chilly but gorgeous. I met a lot of fellow hikers along the way including folks who traveled from Ohio and Pennsylvania. The fall colors are starting but seemed to be a bit dull this year - no doubt from the constant rain and above average temperatures. Kaaterskill High Peak and Round Top are at peak color while the lower elevations are just starting.

Those who are familiar with the Devils Path know there is a herd path from the col in Jimmy Dolan Notch that extends about 200 feet south from the Devils Path to a beautiful viewpoint. However, I noticed there is now a second herd path less than 20 feet west of the original. I followed the second herd path which took me past two campsite (with fire rings) and then down a short ledge to a spectacular view looking south towards Ashokan Reservoir and the Shawangunks. This viewpoint is at least 50 feet higher than the original - however, it is EXCEEDINGLY dangerous. The ledge is very small and there is a sheer drop of at least 50 to 60 feet. Regardless, it is definitely worth checking out!

Sorry, no photos! I was too lazy to drag my camera along. One other note. The bulletin board at Prediger Road included a warning regarding a high level of activity with black bears. I did not encounter any, but I was hyper-vigilant the entire day just in case!
SNEAKers

Re: New Viewpoint on the Devils Path (Jimmy Dolan Notch)

Unread post by SNEAKers »

There have been a lot of bears lately... saw one on my last two trips in the Kaaterskill Falls area, then saw extremely fresh prints on The trail between Camel’s Hump and Thomas Cole this Saturday.