If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Kaaterskill Falls

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
Birdman

Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by Birdman »

Today I went up to the new rail trail in Haines Falls to do a walk. Going up 23A I noticed a ranger at the base of the KFalls trail. There have been several articles in the papers regarding two women's death this summer and this seems to be one of the actions taken by the state to promote public awareness of the dangers with this area. Hope everyone had a good Labor day.
mike

Re: Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by mike »

They are trying to educate people to not do stupid things when they get to the base of KF.

The main problem is that this is a very short hike, and when people get to base they still have a lot of energy. So, they go exploring. They need to make the hike longer. There is a plan being drafted up to change the hike to KF. The proposal would put parking along Kaaterskill Creek along the old Rt 23a. There is room for 200-300 cars. It would get all the cars and hikers off the road. I think it will solve all the problem in the clove and some of the problems in Hunter.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Where is the old RT. 23A?
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

From Moore's Bridge to Lake Creek the old Rt 23a follows the north side of Kaaterskill Creek. After Lake Creek it runs up the side of the bank and comes out on Rt 23a about 1/10 of a mile before Twilight Park. Mike might have a GPS track for it.