If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Gillespie Road Trailhead

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
DaveT

Gillespie Road Trailhead

Unread post by DaveT »

Gillespie Road has always been rough, but someone has piled soil along the road to prevent vehicle access, so you can't park at the trailhead. Any ideas if this was DEC authorized or not?
mike

Re: Gillespie Road Trailhead

Unread post by mike »

The rough part of Gillespie Road is owned by NYC DEP. Don't know why the road is blocked. Maybe they are doing work on it. I'll have to check it out.
whocriedwolf_21

Unread post by whocriedwolf_21 »

When I was there in August it was really rough but fine and somewhat drivable. had to park lower down and walk up the rest of the path. You gotta find the right woods trail to the snow mobile path though
DaveT

Unread post by DaveT »

I appreciate your response, but this is a different story. There are piles of soil, rocks and old pavement that looks like they were put there out of the back of a dump truck. A long series of small piles, but large enough that you would not drive a vehicle over them. This is not an improvement project, it looks like it was done to prevent access. As it stands, not even emergency vehicles could get through.