If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North-South Lake - short little hike

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

North-South Lake - short little hike

Unread post by mike »

As some of my friends know, I have been battling plantar fasciitis for almost a year. I have only hiked once since May of 2014. So, today I finally wanted to get out and test my feet. They are not fully healed yet, but I am 90% there. We hiked about a mile today. The furtherest I have gone in quite some time.

Today was cold and very windy. In fact, it was bitter cold if you were caught in some of the windy sections. We parked down by South Lake overflow. There were only 4 other cars there. As one other person said, "Only fools and die-hards are out today". As soon as we got out of the car, we put our snowshoes on, and started to move quickly. We took the old railroad tracks down the north side of South Lake. The wind wasn't that bad on the trail, and we warmed up nicely. Then we decided to cross the junction between North and South Lake. this put us in the bitter wind. The wind was sometimes blowing up to 50 mph. It was wicked cold. Just before we got south side, there was a discolored section of the lake ice. With it being so cold, it was hard to believe that the nice was very soft. One step onto the discolored section, I dropped 6" into the ice. I quickly retreated, and walked around the section. There must have been a spring just below the ice. The depression where I stepped immediately filled with water. Yikes! Once on the other side, we started to walk along the trail in the woods. But, the wind was blowing hard. We started to get cold, so, we decided to cut back across the lake. But, this time, we had a big section of the lake to cross. In spite of moving fast, we started to cool down in the 50mph winds. It was bitter cold on the lake. Once we reached the other side of the shore, the wind died down. We then walked back to the car. I needed a little hike, but I wish it wasn't so windy.

SNEAKers

Re: North-South Lake - short little hike

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Looks cold! Glad you didn't fall in the water and that you got a little bit of a hike in!

I can't wait for spring!
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Wow, that's been a long road back for you! Hope you keep on the mend!

(And I gotta get out some more. I haven't been hiking in about a month. Stuff keeps coming up. I'd like to do Sherrill and Halcott before they turn into a hell of stinging nettles.)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Yes, it has taken forever to heal. But, it didn't help that it was 90% healed, and I did a 2-day backpack in Montana in September. I ended up ripping all 6 ligaments during those 2 days. I'll wait until they are fully healed before I try that again. Right now my left foot is 95% healed, and the right is 98% healed. Hopefully, I will be ready in about a month. I am hoping for some great waterfalls in a month or two. With the great snow pack, we might have some great waterfall pictures to take.

It was bitter and wicked cold on Sunday. Stay inside. But yes, take care of Halcott an Sherrill before the prickers start growing again.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

"Only fools and die-hards are out today"
Yup...that says it all. It was way to cold and windy to be out there hiking.