If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North Lake area Hikes 9-23 thru 9-26

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
ssjamk65

North Lake area Hikes 9-23 thru 9-26

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

First hike of the week was a loop of South Mountain. My two brothers and I hiked from our campsite to the Mountain House site and then headed up to the Third Ledge Trail. We took this to Scutt Road and picked up the southern part of the Escarpment Trail there. Proceeded on to Boulder Rock then bushwacked down to Palenville Overlook. I was hoping to find the "Natural Bridge" but we missed it. From there it was the snowmobile trail back to N. Lake beach. Great Hike! Only saw 3 other hikers all day and that was near Inspiration Point. Second day we parked at Laurel House RD. and hiked all levels of the falls. First time I've ever been there where we had the falls to ourselves. From here we hiked down the Kaaterskill Rail trail and then bushwacked to Sphinx Rock. First time ever there and I loved it. The view from the nearby ledge of Kaaterskill Falls is outstanding. ( Just wish there was more water!) On the way back to our car we passed two different couples along the Rail Trail who asked us if this was the way to the falls. ( and one of these was very close to the Sphinx). I had never realized there is no sign at the parking area that points out where the falls are. We also took a quick hike up Spruce Creek to the Mountain House water shed.( One brother had never seen it. ) Day three, (Thursday), was supposed to be a hike up KHP. Some locals we talked to said there was an 80% chance of rain so we changed our plans. When we awoke to overcast but not threatening skies we decided to head up North Mountain via the escarpment. We figured we would get to Sunset Rock and see how the skies looked. No rain in sight so we headed up to North Point and returned via Mary's Glen. Another great hike in which we were the only ones on the mountain. About a tenth of a mile from the top we noticed a view of the lakes we had never seen before. We figured either someone cut a tree or one fell over. Mary's Glen was the driest I've ever seen it. Friday we decided to hike up the Kaaterskill Clove along the creek bed. We parked at the spot just east of Moore's Bridge and headed up the creek. This was also a first for us. Very easy hike, ( rock hopping), especially with the little amount of water. We went as far as the tannery ruins and then turned back. After lunch at the campground we hoped on our bikes and road down the old Mountain House carriage road past Little Pine Orchard, Rip Van Winkle House site, and on into Palenville via Bogart Rd. ( We had spotted a car at the trail head in Palenville.) Very bone jarring bike ride. Last time down that trail for me was 25yrs ago. I didn't remember it being that rough. Overall a great week of hiking with near perfect weather. Couple of questions though. 1. Is it true they are going to put fences up at Kaaterskill Falls? ( saw an article on MTHS facebook page.) 2. How far beyond the tannery ruins does Lake Creek enter Kaaterskill Creek? 3. Hiking up Kaaterskill Creek we noticed whats left of a car below 23A between Fawns Leap and the ruins. What's the story with the car? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.