If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Red Trail to North Point - Some advice

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
Jake

Red Trail to North Point - Some advice

Unread post by Jake »

We are planning to travel from Long Island on Thursday Oct 2 to hike to Northpoint. Our goal is hike the red trail from the small parking lot that is close to the red trail .

What is the best guess on the conditions of the trail the forecast till then is no rain . If so will the trail be dry ?

Should the parking lot by the red trail be open ?

Is the trail easily marked ?

For 3 inexperienced hikers how long should it take to reach Northpoint ?

Any other thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance for the help
kennykb

Re: Red Trail to North Point - Some advice

Unread post by kennykb »

You've asked the same questions many times.

The trail in Mary's Glen can be wet even in dry weather, but has turnpike stones so you won't be wading in mud.

The North/South Lake campground is open until Columbus Day. After that you have to park at Schutt Road outside the gate. If you do go on October 2, you can go into the day use parking.

The trails at North/South Lake are very clearly blazed.

The Mary's Glen trail is 1.75 miles from end to end. From the north end of it you have to go about another 0.25 mile on the blue-blazed Escarpment Trail to North Point, up a very steep scramble. Total is 2 miles and about 1000 feet of elevation gain. An inexperienced party should expect to do the round trip in about 3.5 hours if they succeed. Some novice parties decide they can't do the last quarter-mile up to the overlook. Add an additional hour or two to come back along the Escarpment, and maybe another half hour for the side trip to Artist Rock - both recommended.

My only other suggestion is: by my count, this is the SEVENTH time you've come here asking the same questions. Why don't you just get out and hike it and find out for yourself?
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
Jake

Unread post by Jake »

Thanks for the information . Sorry for all the question you information has always been helpful . I just want to make sure. Again I am sorry
dave

Unread post by dave »

It has been fairly dry lately, but sometimes the trail or rocks can still be moist or slippery. Right now there is no rain in the forecast. Can't say about Oct 2. Like Kevin said, park at Schutt Road parking area, and walk across North lake Road and you will see the trail on your left.

Read this: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/NSL-north.html

After going to the two lookouts on North Point, you could take the Escarpment Trail down the North Lake. Then hike back out on North lake Road to Schutt Road. You can see part of that trail here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/NSL-newman.html . These trails are fairly busy, so if you have questions, just ask another hiker. Or, you could get a trail map.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I agree with Dave. Hike up to the two Lookout Points, then hike down the the Escarpment Trail to North lake. Then road hike it back to Schutt. One of the best hikes in the Catskill...in my opinion.