If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

need directions to the sphinx rock

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
erik7181

need directions to the sphinx rock

Unread post by erik7181 »

Could anyone tell me where the spyhnx rock is. A map if u have it
dundee

Re: need directions to the sphinx rock

Unread post by dundee »

There are two Sphinx's. One is very accessable via trail from the North/South Lake beach area. go south from the old Catskill Mt. House on the Escarpment Trail and the Sphinx is either the first or second overlook you come to. the overlooks are right next to each other.

The other Sphinx is harder to find. Park at the Molly Smith parking lot on Rt. 23A. this is the same lot that is used for the trail to the bottom of Kaaterskill Falls. croos the road from the parking lot and climb steeeply uphill. This is the only way to access it w/o crossing private land.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

As Dundee suggested, park at Molly Smith and then prepare yourself for an exceedingly steep climb. About 200 feet above Route 23A, you will come to the site of the old Prospect Quarry, and may even see traces of the old woods road used to transport the stone down to Palenville. Please use extreme caution when climbing through the quarry as the entire area is very steep and covered with loose stones (both flat and round). The quarry is very dangerous not only for yourself, but also due to the fact that a large stone could easily dislodge and tumble down onto Route 23A.

When you reach the top of the quarry, you will be greeted with a 30 foot high ledge that is simply impossible to climb. Instead, turn left (west) and follow the base of the ledge for a few hundred feet. Along the way, you will walk under the Sphynx and see it looming overhead. After walking the few hundred foot distance, you will see an opening in the ledge permitting relatively safe passage to the top. When you get to the top of the ledge, turn right (east) and walk a short distance along the top of the ledge.

You will soon encounter the old trail from Haines Falls to the Sphynx. From here, it is an easy walk. The trail passes above the Sphynx (resist the temptation to climb the short steep ledge down to the Sphynx - it is deceptively dangerous). Instead, keep walking and the trail will easily (and safely) descend the short ledge down to the level of the Sphynx.

A much easier approach is to park at the Laurel House parking area and walk west along the railroad bed (now a hiking trail) for about a half mile. Turn left (south) and follow a series of old trails to the Sphynx. Mike and I did this walk about two years ago and it is very easy and pleasant. However, Dundee raises a good point about being on private property. Mike and I stayed as close as we could to the edge of Kaaterskill Clove from the falls to Route 23A and were "fairly" certain we stayed on public land.

By the way, there is a little known overlook northeast of the Sphynx that is worth checking out. When you leave the Sphynx and follow the trail back up to the top of the ledge, instead of turning west to follow the trail back to Molly Smith, head in a northeasterly direction towards Kaaterskill Falls. You will find a unique overlook that includes both Kaaterskill Falls and Kaaterskill Clove. As far as Mike and I know, this is the only spot where one can see both the falls and the clove in one view. Definitely worth checking out!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Parking at Laurel House Road and hiking down the Kaaterskill Rail Trail. When the land pulls away from the KRT, leave the trail. I think there is still a small rock cairn there. then follow the rim of the kaaterskill clove until you get to the point (Rt 23a and Molly Smith PA below). This should keep you on public land. Rich I an also hiked it from slightly below the rim from Prospect Point to the point (Prospect Point is completely grown in). Then walk slightly west until you can follow the path below the ledge. Once down, the Sphinx is right there. Once of these days I need to get back there to photograph it again in HDR.

Hike in Oct of 2010 with the MTHS