If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Upper part of Kaaterskill Falls

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
dave

Upper part of Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by dave »

As everyone knows, Kaaterskill Falls (except for the base) was closed to the public. Starting last weekend, it was opened to the public. Here are a couple of photos:

There is a new trail to the top of the Falls. It is lined with stone dust with water run offs. Not sure it will reduce deaths, but tourist are certainly going to like it. Hikers not so much. The bridge over Lake Creek has not been started. They are still installing the steps from the base to the top and the middle Falls. Construction and restrictions will continue into 2016. But, the top is presently open. Enjoy while no one knows about it. Next summer it will be a "zoo".
SNEAKers

Re: Upper part of Kaaterskill Falls

Unread post by SNEAKers »

From Saturday mid day.

mike

Unread post by mike »

I usually do not go near KF in the winter. But with the new platform, great shots like this can be had. Amazing amount of ice!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I usually do not go near KF in the winter. But with the new platform, great shots like this can be had. Amazing amount of ice!
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice! Love all these new photos from the platform. the platform is too touristy for me, but nice for some photos. Thanks for the eye candy!
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

No problem guys. The new platform is great for getting photos of the upper falls, but it is definitely a tourist-y feel up there. Reminded me of being at one of Yellowstone Falls' platforms. The changes being made will reduce my desire to visit, especially in summer, but we were in the area and didn't have time for a hike. Worked out well, but I likely won't be back to the platform anytime soon.