If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North Mountain Plane Crash?

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
metalmanstan

North Mountain Plane Crash?

Unread post by metalmanstan »

As I was descending from North Mountain today I noticed a very oddly shaped object on the side of North Mountain, just off the trail to the right and below all the ledges. I hiked up a little bit and noticed it was an airplane wing. I looked around to find only the other wing and no cabin. I had no knowledge of this crash, only the Stoppel Point one(I stopped at that one too) Does anyone have any info on this crash? When and if they removed the cabin? It was very interesting since I did not know it was there!!

Stash
mike

Re: North Mountain Plane Crash?

Unread post by mike »

There is a 2nd plane crash south Stoppel Point. Maybe a 1/4 mile south. It is below the wall on the Winter Clove side. I presume that is the one you are talking about?

There is a post on the forum about it.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is the forum post from Rivet: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=887&sid=eebef59902f ... 7c0677f125

Click on the link to see the pictures.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I know of one on WHP, but it was removed. A glider a couple years ago.

One on Burnt Knob. Off the steep bank to the east.

One off the escarpment between Acra Point and BH

Two around Stoppel Point

One on South Mtn.

On KHP, there are two.

I presume this is the one south of Stoppel Point that Mike pointed out.
metalmanstan

This was just before Ledge Falls and the trail junction going up to North Mountain. I have pictures of the spot I went up to from my GPS, what it looked like from the trail and the pieces that I found. I went to Stoppel Point and saw the plane wreck there. I spotted this on my way back down to Scut Road.
rsz_capturesat.jpg
rsz_1highlight.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img_20151208_123101339.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img_20151208_123413968.jpg
Pretty weird hunh? I've never heard of this before and if anyone knows any info let me know!!

Stash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Wow! Never heard of this one. Do you have a gps waypoint? Amazing that you can see it from the trail, and no one has noticed. I'm going to have to go up there and see it.
metalmanstan

42°13'07.1"N 74°02'32.6"W

That is the best I can do. I only had my Mapmyhike app going, so the gps might be off, but that is roughly where it is. I saw two wings and they both had carvings engraved in them with names and dates from the 80's. So that means I can't be the first one to spot this. I've even looked on the Catskill 3500 yahoo group about this debris and nothing is even close to North Mountain. Crazy right!!

Stash
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

The 3500 club doesn't climb North Mtn, so few would know about it. Strange that the body is gone. Usually the family wants to plane to stay exactly where it crashed. Must have had a reason to remove it. Very nice find!
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

What type of coordinates is this: 42°13'07.1"N 74°02'32.6"W ? When I put it in a gps converter it comes up as invalid.
metalmanstan

bikenhike wrote:What type of coordinates is this: 42°13'07.1"N 74°02'32.6"W ? When I put it in a gps converter it comes up as invalid.
Latitude and longitude I believe. I got it from google maps and my application on my phone. Might not be perfect for GPS coordinates. What did I do wrong for that?

Stash