If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North Mountain - bushwhacked from Spruce Ck

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

North Mountain - bushwhacked from Spruce Ck

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, Nov 21, I headed up to North-South Lake. My plan was to bushwhack up Spruce Creek to North Mountain. I had done this route before. Last time I ended up on Stoppel Point instead of North Mountain. This time I came out below Stoppel Point. I always seem to get it messed up. But, I still had fun.

It was sunny, and the temps were 40-50 degrees. Perfect for hiking. I parked at Scutt Road, and hiked back down North Lake Road to Spruce Creek. I then started to hike up Spruce Creek. There was a LOT of water. They got a lot more rain then the valley. So, the water was flowing well. When I got up to the cirque, I took a right and hiked up the stream that branches off to the east. I then saw an easy way up to the top of the Escarpment Trail. This was a mistake because it took me towards Stoppel Point instead of North Mountain. Not a big deal, but still a mistake. Hiked up the cirque. When I got up to the top, I found an old logging road. I followed it for a while before cutting over to the Escarpment Trail. Hiked down the Escarpment Trail to North Mountain.

I then redid the tracks to the hidden campground looking over North-South Lake. It is about 450' off the trail with a nice view over North-South Lake and the Hudson River. There is a fire ring and an eating table, and a place for about 3-4 tents. sits right on the edge of the Escarpment. Wouldn't advice it for sleep walkers. Beautiful place to camp.

I then walked down to Lookout #1 and #2. No one on North Point. I then hiked down to the trail junction. I took a left and hiked further down the Escarpment Trail. When I got to Badman's Cave. I took a right and hiked down the Glen Mary. On the upper ledge waterfall, there was a LOT of water on the trail. About a foot underwater. Still nice. I then hiked down to North-South Lake Campground. Only saw two people on the trail all day. When I got to the campground there were a lot of people walking around. Overall, it was a real nice day.

Old logging road near Stoppel Point

where you leave the path to find the campground - You can see the rim in the distance

View from the campsite. You can see the fire ring

North Point DEC trail sign
Birdman

Re: North Mountain - bushwhacked from Spruce Ck

Unread post by Birdman »

I have never been to North Mountain. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great day. Regards
mike

Unread post by mike »

The two view spots (North Point) have excellent views over the valley. Well worth the hike
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Another magical section of the Escarpment Trail. The trail from North Point down to North Lake is so nice.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Glad to see that you've returned to the trail with a vengeance! It gives me some hope that MY foot will be up to the task again.

This plantar fasciitis stuff is for the birds.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

It took me a year to get over the plantar fasciitis. I thought that it would never heal. But, slowly it did. I am slowly trying to get back into it. Nice to be back out there again.