If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Short hike on the Escarpment Trail

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Short hike on the Escarpment Trail

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, Alexis and I headed up to the North-South Lake region. We parked at the bottom of Laurel House Road. The creek was running more then usual. After we got across the creek we headed up the southern part of the escarpment trail. The temperatures were very nice. It was cloudy with a nice breeze. Since I have been recovering from a foot injury we took things nice and slow.

On the way back we ran into a good friend of ours, Heather. We had nice conversation and then we moved on.

By Layman's Monument - recently cut out view

Layman's Monument

Blooming Mountain Laurel

Someone's rock cairn on Council's Bluff

A favorite part of the hike

Sunset Ledge

Inspiration Point
Jon

Re: Short hike on the Escarpment Trail

Unread post by Jon »

Wow that rock cairn is cool. It kind of defies gravity. Nice that you got some good views with a clear day!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Thanks Jon! The mini rock cairn was pretty cool. Just had to take a picture of it.

I am just happy to finally be out hiking again.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Hey, Mike, glad to hear you're somewhat on the mend. This foot stuff sucks. I'm having a heel problem myself. It hasn't got beyond the level of "annoying" but it just won't get better. I'm doing all the stretches and stuff but that just seems to hold it at "annoying."
mike

Unread post by mike »

Heel problems are Plantar Fasciitis. That is what I am recovering from. Takes a long time to heal. I was calcium deficient, so the tendons had a hard time healing. Important to have good arch support (inserts). I also take Advil and cool my feet at night to keep the inflammation down. We have a write up on it on the site now. Don't ignore it. It will get much worse.

Last September, when I was almost healed, I went backpacking in Montana. Ripped all 6 ligaments in my feet. 9 months to recover. That really sucked. That is why I haven't been on the forum too much since last year.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Not always plantar fascitis. Mine's retrocalcaneal bursitis. On the back of the heel, rather than the bottom.

Getting old is not for sissies.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.