If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Elm Ridge Trail

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Elm Ridge Trail

Unread post by mike »

This morning I had a little time to spare, so I decided to hike up the WHP trail from Rt 23. Nothing exciting happen. The forest always seems a little spooky. I then took the new trail that runs across Elm Ridge. I have bushwhacked this ridge before. Nice that we now have a trail. Took some pictures, but nothing exciting.

As I drove away towards East Windham, I saw a Fisher near the same place I saw one last year. Cool find. Yesterday, I saw a Barred Owl sitting on a sign on Rt 23. Good week for seeing wildlife.
mtnclimber

Re: Elm Ridge Trail

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Didn't know about the Elm Ridge Trail. When did this happen? Is the web site going to post a hike for it?
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

mtnclimber wrote:Didn't know about the Elm Ridge Trail. When did this happen? Is the web site going to post a hike for it?
Not sure when it happened. It's on the 2010 trail maps from NYNJTC. (I know that the 2010 season was when the DEC opened the mountain bike trails by the northern terminus of the Escarpment Trail - did the yellow-blazed Elm Ridge Trail open at the same time?)

It looks as if it would save a bit of roadwalking if you wanted to make a loop of the Blackeads, Acra Point, and Windham High Peak. (Which looks like a nice backpack, I might try it one of these months.)

NYNJTC has an online description of the hike at http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/windham-high-peak
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The NJNYTC link is for WHP. The trail from Peak Road to the pass is considered Elm Ridge Trail, where the trail from Rt 23 to the pass is considered the Escarpment Trail.

The Elm Ridge Trail is about 6 miles if you just do the loop. There are many side trails also.

We will have a listing on the web site soon. I hiked the loop yesterday evening. Nice for Mtn bikes, but also great for hiking too.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Hi Mike and Kevin. I was going to go hiking today towards Indian Head but weather was iffy. I would like to go hiking with you guys. I wish there was a better way of communicating. Mike I think you talked about a website. Ed
mike

Unread post by mike »

The hike of Elm Ridge will be listed on this web site. It just hasn't been finished.

You are more then welcome to hike with us. It has been hot lately, so a lot of us haven't been hiking. But, with cooler weather around the corner, we'll be out again. You are more then welcome to join us. I am going to be away this weekend and in the beginning of September.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Been crazy lately. So, here are some of the photos.

Map of the Elm Ridge Trail

Many official and unofficial trails

Incredible section. Filled with large elm and red oak trees.

Beautiful section on the lower ledges
mike

Unread post by mike »

Been crazy lately. So, here are some of the photos.

Map of the Elm Ridge Trail

Many official and unofficial trails

Incredible section. Filled with large elm and red oak trees.

Beautiful section on the lower ledges