If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Arizona Mountain (almost) Trip Report 12Jan2013

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
SNEAKers

Arizona Mountain (almost) Trip Report 12Jan2013

Unread post by SNEAKers »

So after all my ranting and raving about refusing to hike in the winter, I couldn't resist getting some exercise and doing a very short hike!

I wanted to hike to the view point before the summit of Arizona Mountain approaching from Dutcher's Notch to get some easy, close to the house views. Unfortunately still being slightly sick, as well as getting the usual late start when my friends are with me, made me realize it wasn't going to happen without the end of the hike being in the dark. I knew before we made it to the trailhead that the spring along Dutcher's Notch would be our turnaround point.

We arrived at the trailhead, which was pretty muddy due to the previous night's rainstorm, at 1:30pm. It was very warm (for a January hike) at almost 50F with little to no wind and fully overcast skies. The trail had some running water on it which is typical, but less than I had expected because the remaining snow held much of the water making for slushy going. I've hiked this in the summer with significantly more water running down the trail, so this was a bonus. We took our time heading up, with lots of short breaks. The snow cover varied from no snow (about 30% of the ground) to 5 inches maximum (less than 10% of the ground) and most of the rest covered in 2 to 3 inches. You could make out some old snowshoe tracks, but most were bareboot tracks the whole way up. After about 1.5 hrs we made it to the spring and enjoyed some fresh water. This is one of the best springs I've been to and always seems to be flowing well. The water pours out of the center of a nice cube shaped moss covered rock at a height that is perfect for filling 1L bottles. I drank 1.5L while there and filled up for the trip back down. I guess I really like natural spring water! We made it back to the trailhead around 3:30 just as it was approaching dusk (short day, plus overcast skies and being shadowed by the mountain trail). We were prepared for the dark, just in case, but I'm glad we turned around where we did.

I'm still counting the days until spring, but this was a fun little hike to get some fresh air, enjoy some time in the woods and get some exercise! I really didn't take any pictures except the not so good one below from the bridge by the registration box.

mike

Re: Arizona Mountain (almost) Trip Report 12Jan2013

Unread post by mike »

Sorry to hear that you only made it to the Spring. This Summer the spring did dry up. But, normally it does flow well all year long.

The view point from the top of the hike in Dutcher's Notch is quite nice. The climb up the hill is difficult at the very end. They have switchbacks up most of the hill. But, the trail creator gave up near the end. I also like to do the hike from Batavia Kill and hike up Blackhead and then across Arizona and down to Stork Nest Road. I usually do this in the Fall. It is an exceptional hike.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Yep, I've made it to the viewpoint before and love it! Never made it to Arizona summit or the mountains beyond, but they're on the list!

I don't mind that we stopped at the spring because I was still pretty sick. Glad we made it there though, the water is GREAT!
mike

Unread post by mike »

From the view point to the bottom of blackhead is fairly flat. Some ups and downs. A hike from Batavia to Stork Nest Road is the best direction. You start at a higher elevation from Batavia. But, I have done it both ways. Best time to do the hike is in the Fall time.

Making it to the spring is pretty good if you were still sick.