If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Windham High Peak/Current Conditions

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
Sam

Windham High Peak/Current Conditions

Unread post by Sam »

Originally I had planned on Hiking up to "Big Indian", but ended up thinking my way out of that last night. There are quite a few stream crossings on that hike and with the heavy rains that we received a few days ago it would probably be pretty beat. Not to mention I'd be hiking alone. Not trying to get a concussion on my first "Winter Hike" of the season.

Anyways I got to the Trail Head alongside 23 around 8:45 and spent about 15minutes putting together an appropriate pack for today's outing.

I arrived at the summit at 10:00am, or a little before and spent half an hour enjoying the views.

The summit had a decent layer of ice that started around 3500' and continued to the flat area of the summit. Shortly passed the 3500' sign I strapped on some Kathoola Crampons (not micro-spikes). They had plenty to bite into! There was probably about 3in of powder on top of the ice, at the summit. At the lower elevations there was fresh powder when I began my hike and mostly wet snow and running water as I made my way back towards the car.

Saw quite a few folks on my way down. I had the summit to myself and boy what a great place to be with the wind, snow, ice, and rime covered trees. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Now for Bearpen and Vly tomorrow!
This was carved into the lean-to, thought it was appropriate.