If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Blackhead & Arizona Mtn

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Blackhead & Arizona Mtn

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday and Sunday the weather was cloudy and raining. But, Monday was Columbus Day and we both had the day off. We headed to the Trail Head on Batavia Road. After dropping off our other vehicle on Stork Nest Road in Roundtop, we headed to the TH at the end of Batavia Valley road. We arrived around 9:30 am. A little later then we had anticipated. The temperature was excellent for hiking. Most of the day I had on a light hiking shirt along with a shell jacket. When I climbed Blackhead I removed the shell jacket.

As soon as we arrived we noticed that the DEC had installed a new registration box at the parking area instead of a 1/4 mile up the trail. There is also a new Kiosk. Progress I suppose.

We then headed up the wet trail. The stream was flowing well, but not overflowing. We headed up the trail. At the bottom of the trail there are still some green leaves. But, as you move up the mountain, the leaves green leaves disappears. Then as we climbed further, the leaves disappears completely. Then once we got on top, there was snow. A little bit of everything.

Once on top of Blackhead, the clouds moved in. Sad faces for sure. We had wanted to get some good pictures from the two view points on the south side of Blackhead. Didn't happen. We then climbed down the mountain.

Then we had the 2 mile transverse across the ridge line called Arizona Mountain. Not much of a change in elevation. But, it is a gorgeous forest walk. Few people get to experience this part of the Catskills. It is a magical part of the Catskills. This was the best part of the hike.

We then stopped at the East Kill Valley Overlook. It was a little hazy, so I was a little disappointed. The views today were the leaves and not the views over the valleys.

We ran into a nice young couple who were having some difficulty finding the the parking lot where the left their car. Turns out they had hiked 4.9 miles in the wrong direction. Being young they just laughed it off. We offer them a ride back to their car.

We then hiked down the mountain to our car on Stork Nest Road. It was a really nice day to go hiking.

Map of the hike - 7.9 miles

New Kiosk and Registration box at the Batavia Kill Road TH

New bridge after the previous one was destroyed by Hurricane Irene

New bridge after the previous one was destroyed by Hurricane Irene

Batavia Kill Creek

Rock Cairns along the trail

The trail up to Lockwood Gap

"Giraffe" tree near the gap to Black Dome and Blackhead Mountain

Trail up the west side of Blackhead Mountain - Black Dome in the background - Can see why they call it Black Dome

Snow near the summit of Blackhead Mountain

View of Black Dome Mountain

View of Black Dome Mountain

Summit of Blackhead Mountain

Second view point on the south side of the summit

Trail between Blackhead and Arizona Mountain

Summit of Arizona Mountain - view of Blackhead in the background

Trail between Arizona Mtn and East Kill Valley Overlook

Trail between Arizona Mtn and East Kill Valley Overlook

Trail between East Kill Valley Overlook and Dutchers Notch

Beginning of the trail from Dutchers Notch to Stork Nest Road

Spring about 4/10 of a mile down the east side of the Eastern Escarpment

New bridge near Stork Nest Road
SNEAKers

Re: Blackhead & Arizona Mtn

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Mike,

Great pics! Assume they are from the new camera?

Thanks for the trip report. I've been trying to get up there for weeks and was hoping to get to the apple orchard in this area. I imagine that they are all gone by now?

If the weather is nice on Sunday I'm going to try to get up there and go there or to Poet's Ledge/Paradox Falls.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Due to the heat, there are NO apples in the orchard. We checked about a month ago. I think this is the first year where I haven't seen them. Very odd.

Some of the pictures were with the new camera, but most were done with the P&S. The P&S was acting very well during the hike. You just never know what you are going to get with it. It seems to like foliage. But, the P&S doesn't do well with waterfalls or landscape shots.

It was a wonderful day out in the woods. I just love the hike from Blackhead to Dutchers Notch.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

I just love this part of the Escarpment Trail.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Great pictures Mike. You should make this a hike on the web site.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think it has been nominated to become a standard hike on the web site. Stay tuned!