If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch

Unread post by mike »

Today we were looking for an easy hike that we could do at a relaxing pace. So, we decided on hiking from Colgate lake to Dutcher's Notch. If we got delayed we would stop at the apple orchard.

This morning it was bitterly cold, so we got a late start. We didn't get to the upper Colgate Lake parking lot until 11 AM. There was already someone else there, but we never saw them. We had the entire trail to ourselves. It was sunny when we arrived and stayed that way all day. As the day went on, it got warmer and more pleasant.

As we hiked up the trail there were a few foot prints, but after about 1/2 mile they all disappeared. We had hard-packed snow under us with about 5" of new powder. Perfect conditions for this hike.

Part way down the trail we saw Fisher tracks that led to a tree. After looking at the hollow in the tree I could see a Fisher. I didn't bother to get closer. These guys may less then a domestic cat, but they are quite aggressive. So, we moved on. When we encountered a nice conifer forest with a large flock of Warblers. They have a tendency to sit still when something on the ground approaches them. You never even know they are up in the tree. But, after a small while, they relax and start flying around and chirping. During our hike we encountered numerous flocks of Warblers.

It didn't take long before we encountered our first problem. The bridge was out. We could see the bridge about 75' down stream. We tried to cross the first stream. I fell through in one spot, but didn't get wet. We continued on. At the second bridge. That one too was washed out. This bridge was about 10' below the crossing. We were able to cross this stream without a problem. We then hit the third bridge. That one was out too. This time, we couldn't cross the ice. The ice was too weak, and the water was deep. So we decided to bushwhack around it. This involved bushwhacking thru dense Balsam Fir forest and crossing marshes. We then had to hike inland to finally get across the water. We then had to bushwhack through the woods. In some places the forest was thick. This one was next to the Apple orchard. We finally got around it, and back tracked to the Apple Orchard. We then hit a new marsh. During our bushwhack, we heard a Barred owl. Not surprising. They love to day roost on the Eastern Escarpment.

Once at the apple orchard, we stopped for lunch. We decided to skip our trip to Dutcher's Notch. We spent so much time getting around the washed out bridges, we ran out of time.

On the way back we found a much faster way back. We enjoyed our trip back. It had warmed up a bit, and was more pleasant. Overall, we hiked about 7.1 miles. Overall, we spent about 4 hours in the woods.

Beginning of the hike

Second washed out bridge

Balsam Fir forest by the large marsh

Large Marsh

Large Marsh

Large Marsh

Washed out bridge #3

Washed out bridge #1

Apple Orchard
mtnclimber

Re: Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I thought that they fixed all the bridges after Hurricane Irene? Isn't that why they wanted everyone to stay off the trails?

I haven't been out that way in quite a while. Anyone cross-country skiing out there?
mike

Re: Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch

Unread post by mike »

I don't know why these bridges were not put back in place. Trees down across the trail in quite a few places. The trail maintainer started to clear some trees, and gave up.

We didn't see anyone cross-country skiing. By next weekend there will only be dirt.