If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Arizona Mtn & Shingle Kill Creek

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Arizona Mtn & Shingle Kill Creek

Unread post by mike »

During Hurricane Irene, the Single Kill Creek opened up, and it looked like a large slide off Arizona Mountain. It could be seen from Cairo and Greenville. We had waited all Fall before visiting it. Today was the day to finally visit it.

We parked at the end of Stork Nest Road and hiked about 3/4 of a mile up the trail. Once on State land, we started to bushwhack across the Eastern Escarpment. We stayed around 1600-1900' most of the time. Anyone who has visited Arizona Mountain will tell you that mountain hardly seems like a mountain when walking across the Eastern Escarpment Trail. But, from 2,000' below it looks like a huge mountain.

We crossed six streams to get to Shingle Kill Creek. Some of the creeks had some steep and deep ravines. Some creeks were frozen, and some were not. Some places had old logging trails, and other places had herd trails. But, in other locations, there were thick Mountain Laurel. Bushwhacking wasn't too bad.

Once we arrived at the "Arizona Slide", we discovered that Shingle Kill Creek had a very deep ravine. It appears that part of the mountain slide off and blocked off the Shingle Kill Creek. Once the water built up it finally broke and created a huge wall of water down the creek. The creek now has a ravine that is 50-200' deep. It is massive and scary looking. Further down the Shingle Kill Creek it has a massive ravine. The total distance today was 8.1 miles. Here are some pictures:

Top of the Arizona Slide - The black hole at the top is about 30-40' high. The white speck is the stream. The walls are 50-200' high. It is a massive looking ravine.

A woodpecker was quite busy

Part of our bushwhack to the bottom of Arizona Mountain

Nice waterfall on our way

Rock growing in the tree

Weird looking tree

Red Pine trees
Jon

Re: Arizona Mtn & Shingle Kill Creek

Unread post by Jon »

that's a cool looking waterfall. How high is it?

Lack of snow is disappointing....
mike

Unread post by mike »

the waterfall wasn't that high. Maybe 10-12' high. But, it sure looked nice.

We are taking advantage of the lack of snow to do some other hikes.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

That ravine on Arizona Mountain is impressive. I can only imagine the force of the raging waters! I would definitely like to see that some time. The weather this weekend was amazing. Temperatures were in the 50's down here in Jersey, so I would guess they cracked at least the low 40's in the Catskills. Things are supposed to turn colder at the end of this week. We'll see.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

Yes, the ravine is quite large. I would like to take some time and explore it further. I only had 10 minutes, so I didn't get to see as much as I had wanted to. The weather was very nice. Actually a little hot on Saturday. Sunday was perfect. We actually got a few snow flurries on Sunday. Nothing to coat the ground.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wow! that gorge is huge! I have seen it from Rt 32 in Greenville, but never gave it much thought. Is it dangerous to go down in there? Can you even get down in there?