If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

blackhead 1-2-12

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
Jon

blackhead 1-2-12

Unread post by Jon »

Batavia Kill

Blackhead

By the lockwood gap

small coyote tracks

Blackdome behind us

Climb up the icy rocks

Through the pines

Summit Blackhead

larger size pics link- https://picasaweb.google.com/stelling.jon/Blackhead

Was the last day for the winter week off, so we decided to tackle Blackhead. We didn't want to take on the north slope, since only 2 of us had metal traction type gear. We left NJ at 7, and got to the trailhead by Big Hollow road by 9:30. We were the first ones there, and there was a light dusting of snow from the night before. I decided to bring the snowshoes, just in case since there could be snow during the day, and who knows how much.

It was cold and the sun stayed behind the two mountains for most of the trail up to the spring. We hit the switchbacks which were completely covered in ice. By the time we got to the lockwood gap, the sun was out but the wind was gusting. I found some small canine tracks or something on the trail near the col. We were the first people up, and there were no human tracks. So I doubt it was someone's dog this time. They were small, only about 2 inches long, but they were all over the place.

By the time we hit the climb up blackhead, the wind was gusting in and bringing huge snow clouds over East Jewitt and over by Windham. We could see what looked like a white-out blizzard, but above us was blue skies. The entire west face of Blackhead was covered with Ice. The really steep parts were really steep with ice. I tromped up with the crampons and had no problems. Others slipped a few times but nothing major.

Made the summit by 12 and decided to scope out the escarmpent viewpoint that's a few yards past the summit. The cloud had moved over the hudson valley and there wasn't much of a view to be had. We backtracked over blackhead summit, and back the way we came to the car.

I decided to stop at the Batavia kill for a while and get some long-exposure waterfall shots.

NJOY
Last edited by Jon on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mike

Re: blackhead 1-2-12

Unread post by mike »

Nice hike guys! The tracks look like coyote tracks. It can get pretty windy up there. I bet you were happy to have your cramp-ons!

If you guys want to link in your photographs from Picasa, pull up the large image in Pscasa and RIGHT click on it. The pick, "Copy Image Location".
Then come back to the forum. Click in the Img button above. Then put your cursor inbetween the Img button and enter CTL+V.
This will make your image show up in the forum.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Hey that looks familiar
cybrgeek

Unread post by cybrgeek »

Hey,
I have a question where did you park? i went on tuesday (1/31/12) and it said the road was closed from nov 1 to may 1... I wanted to do blackhead because it is my last winter peak i need for the 3500 club. Thanks for any help :)
mike

Unread post by mike »

Most people park at the end of Big Hollow Road. The DEC closes the road up to the Parking Area because they don't plow it. Just park near the turn-around. Just don't block the ability of the plow trucks from turning around.

You can also hike it from Stork Nest Road. This is the longest route, but the most beautiful. About 10 miles.

You can also hike it from Barnum Road. This route is long too. But, you also have to hike the steep west side. The North side is the steepest. Pretty tough in the Winter.
cybrgeek

Unread post by cybrgeek »

Thank you so much I was just going to drive down there there wasn't really any snow and I have a 4 wheel drive but I didnt want to come down and the car be towed haha
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

cybrgeek wrote:Hey,
I have a question where did you park? i went on tuesday (1/31/12) and it said the road was closed from nov 1 to may 1... I wanted to do blackhead because it is my last winter peak i need for the 3500 club. Thanks for any help :)
I just parked at the trailhead, I was the first there but there were several other people who parked there later in the day as well.