If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Dutcher's Notch & Arizona & BH

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Dutcher's Notch & Arizona & BH

Unread post by mike »

This is a hike I have wanted to do for the last two years. But, there was always something in the way. It is a long hike, so not everyone is interested. For me, it is the best hike to Blackhead.

I arrived at the parking lot at the end of Stork's Nest Road around 9 AM. It was cool. Maybe 50 degrees. Some sun and some clouds. It was a nice day for a hike. I very quietly walked past the home at the end of the road. Quite a few cars, so I tried to be a quiet as possible. Signed into the registration box. Made the 2 mile up the Eastern Escarpment. Still quite a bit of water running. But, with the wind over the past 2 days the rocks were dry along with the trail. On the way up , the leaves were still changing, so it was quite enjoyable.

I took a quick break at Dutcher's Notch. I then started up the trail. There are quite a few switchbacks at the lower part of the trail. This part of the trail was done professionally. Very nice hiking. But, as I approached the top of the hill, the switchbacks suddenly ended. The trail then shot straight up the steep hill. There were not any spots that were very difficult. But, the trail up the steep hill was a little challenging due to the falling leaves.

After I got to the top of the hill, I stopped at the ledge that overlooks the Colgate valley. You could see Capra Lake and a glimpse of Colgate Lake. Very nice view. I then headed up the trail. Very beautiful forest walk. I reached the first summit. But, it is a false summit. But, again, there were some great view of the Hudson Valley. It was at 3,366'. I then walked further towards Arizona Mountain. The summit is 3,450'. But, not really any good views.

I then headed towards Blackhead Mountain. At the base, was a nice ledge with a good view of Acra Point. I then headed up Blackhead. This is probably the easiest way up Blackhead. Still a challenge. Got up fairly quickly. Stopped by the view points near the top. I reached the summit of Blackhead Mountain in about 3 hours. It was a total of 4.88 miles. Ran into one group of people for the first and last time of the day.

I then headed back down. Once down, the mileage was 9.50 miles in 5.75 hours. Here are some pictures:

Beautiful trail near the top of Dutcher's Notch - part of the old Colgate Carriage Road from the early 1900's

Dutcher's Notch

Beginning of the trail to Arizona and Blackhead Mountain

The Stone Tunnel is on the right side of the rock pile (can't see it in the picture)

View over the Colgate Valley

Beautiful conifer forest on the way the false summit of Arizona Mountain

View from the false summit of Arizona Mountain

View of the trail from the false summit of Arizona Mountain

View from the false summit of Arizona Mountain - Acra Point in the background

Summit of Arizona Mountain - No great views from the real summit

Nice view of the forest floor

View from a ledge at the base of Blackhead Mountain

This guy was looking for a good place to hole up for the Winter

View point near the summit of Blackhead Mountain - Overgrowning quickly

Camp Steel from the 1930's

Nice berries (poisonous - cannot eat) along the way

View of Acra Point from Blackhead Mountain
mtnclimber

Re: Dutcher's Notch & Arizona & BH

Unread post by mtnclimber »

That hike looks really nice. So many places where there are great views. Do you have a map of it and how to get there?

Not sure I have ever seen a picture of Capra Lake before. Nice!
mike

Re: Dutcher's Notch & Arizona & BH

Unread post by mike »

Here is a map. Don't know if it will fit on the screen