If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Colgate Lake to Large Marsh

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
mike

Colgate Lake to Large Marsh

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, January 29, 2011, we headed over to Colgate Lake. We parked in the second parking lot. Our plan was to follow the DEC trail from Colgate Lake to Dutchers Notch. We didn't think that we would make it to Dutchers notch, so we made a tentative plan to hike to the Apple Orchard and waterfalls. We made it to the second large marsh, and we were about 1/3-1/2 mile from the apple orchard. But, we decided to turn around. We thought about exploring the many side trails, but decided against it.

When we started in the morning it was one of those bluebird days with a beautiful cobalt blue sky. After an hour, the clouds moved in. Our hike last week was spectacular, so we tried to keep our expectations reduced.

Along the way, we ran into two groups of cross-country skiers. Overall, we had a nice easy walk in the woods. For those who have never hiked this trail, it is mainly flat. In fact, this is the flattest hike in the Catsills. It is a great cross-country ski trail. 4.5 miles on-way or 9 miles round trip.

Here are some pictures:
Actually before Colgate Lake - picture of the Blackhead Mtn Range

At the beginning of the hike - Blackhead Mtn in the background

Entering the woods by Colgate Lake

Beautiful hike through the woods

Crossing one of the many bridges on the way to Dutchers Notch

Hiking up one of the many roads from Capra Lake (private)

Snow covered trees

Large Marsh - West Stoppel Mtn to the right of photo

Large Marsh - West Stoppel Mtn to the right of photo

Large Marsh - Stoppel Mtn to the right of photo

Snow covered Balsam trees by large Marsh

Smaller March - actually first marsh off of the trail

Large tree over the trail - On the way back

Snow covered tree

Panoramic picture of Stoppel - West Stoppel - Onteora Mtn/i]

Map of hike
mtnclimber

Re: Colgate Lake to Large Marsh

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Nice hike. Does look like a nice cross-country ski trail.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, thanks as always for sharing. The photos are beautiful and the hike looks like a thoroughly relaxing walk through the woods. What a great place to give your snowshoes a workout! I was very impressed with Colgate Lake the day you and Alexis took me there and I will have to add this hike to my "to do" list.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

Thanks guys for your nice comments.

Greg, you can get the mileage and map and info for this hiker here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/WB-colgate.html . In the Spring it is quite the mud hole. In the dryness of the summer and fall, it is just hard dirt, except for one small section. But, I have gotten around it with trail runners.

Rich: Yes, there is a lot of exploring that can be done. Real nice hike in the woods. Pretty much flat. Some great side trips. You can also climb West Stoppel from Colgate Lake. I skied and snowshoe'd West Stoppel about 10 years ago. Another nice winter/summer hike, is to start in Batavia PA and hike Blackhead down to Dutchers Notch and down to Maple Lawn. When you get some free time, we can do some hikes/pictures. Also Dr K will be joining us for Buttermilk in the Spring. We need to scout it out first.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The land around Capra Lake is private property. You cannot hike on their land. That is why the trail is shaped the way it is. You can make it shorter if you cross Colgate Lake and take the old road to the large marsh. This way is shorter, and is just barely on State land. This old road used to run from the old stone church near Onteora Park and ran to Dutchers Notch and then on to Cairo.

This valley and including Blackhead Mtn was owned by the Colgate Family. The Colgate family tried to buy a house in Onteora Park, but they refused to allow him to be a member. So, he bought all this land. He never visited the land. He later donated the Capra Lake for a troubled boys camp, and later sold some of the land to the state.

This trail is real nice for cross-country skiing.