If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Black Dome range in winter

Acra Point, Black Dome, Blackhead Mtn, Burnt Knob, Dutchers Notch, Elm Ridge, Thomas Cole, Windham High Peak
sherpa

Black Dome range in winter

Unread post by sherpa »

Hey, everyone.

I was glad to see a forum for hiking in the Catskills. I'm from Albany and usually head north for hiking, etc. but a friend wanted to try out winter camping and suggested the Catskills, namely the Black Dome area. I'm looking forward checking it out.

I had one question I'm hoping i can get answered here. Are Snoeshoes sufficient, or would crampons be needed. I have some, but as this would be my friends first trip i'm trying to spare him the expense. I have seen were they are recommended for the Devil's Path and other trails, just not sure if they would be needed here.

Any other advice on the area would be appreciated. I'm a pretty experienced winter hiker, just never explored the Catskills, something i plan to rectify.
mike

Re: Black Dome range in winter

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum Sherpa!

A common summer and winter hiking trip to Black Dome usually includes Blackhead and Thomas Cole. Most camp at the lean-to at the bottom of Blackhead.

Most people do not use cramp-ons in the Catskills. Under certain circumstances people will use them on the north access to Blackhead and the Devil's Path. I have done the north access to Blackhead in the Winter with just snowshoes. But, my snowshoes have some pretty good cramp-ons on the bottom. Same with Black Dome. The North Access to Blackhead has a couple hundred foot climb with a pitch of 30-45 degrees. If it is icy, then it can be scary if you fall. Black Dome has a small steep climb that can be challenging during icy weather. For the most part, most people can climb BH, BD, and TC with just MicroSpikes and good snowshoes (MSR, Tubbs, Atlas, etc).

Blackhead has the best views. Most are off to the south end of the summit. About a 1/4 mile walk. Also good views on the other paths. Black Dome has one nice view point from the summit that looks to the south and west. Thomas Cole doesn't have a view. But, the walk from BD to TC is easy and fairly short.

Some people will also do a 2-car spot. Hike up TC -> BD -> BH. Then camp at the lean-to. Then hike Acra Point -> Burnt Knob -> Windham High Peak. WHP does have TWO parking lots. Both are generally plowed.

I suggest a good map like VO maps or TC maps. Also remember that if there is a storm with high winds you have to be careful with Blackhead. Last year Seth Lyon died on the mountain of hypothermia. Seth encounter 75+ mph winds and snow. Doesn't happen often, but pay attention to the weather report before leaving.

Most people have a really good time with this hike.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

The northeast access can be scary if it is ice covered. I don't own cramp-ons, but there are times you can use them on that chute. It is a real nice hike if you do the loop like Mike suggested.
sherpa

Unread post by sherpa »

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for.

Yep, our plan was to go in from the west up TC and around to that leanto, then back over Windham along the escarpment trail.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the weather.

Any chance that we'd be jumped by a large cat? ;-) I've been reading that thread with joy and a touch of wariness. I bike a lot and know they have jumped cyclists out west. They are amazingly beautiful though.

Are bear boxes needed/required in winter in that area? In the high peaks they are required, but I haven't had much issues in January as the bears are usually pretty dormant. Wasn't sure if DEC had made them mandatory though.

enjoy.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I suspect that cougars have been around the Catskills and Adirondacks for close to 10 years. They are rarely seen. At this point we cannot confirm that they are breeding and growing in population. There are a lot of deer and coyotes for them to eat. Most will not attack a human unless they are small, or they are desperate.

Black bears should be hibernating now, so it would be highly unlikely you would see them. We don't have a requirement for bear food canisters like they do in the ADK high peaks area. I would still tie up your food with a black rope, and away from the lean-to. Coyotes are around. There are also a porcupine that likes to visit the Batavia Lean-To.

Make sure when you come down from WHP (by the lean-to) that you take the correct trail to your car. There is a PA on Rt 23 and a PA in the Batavia Valley. Either way is good.

You should have a nice trip. Please post a trip report and pictures if you can.
sherpa

Unread post by sherpa »

I'm not small, but i am desperate. i may be in danger. ;-)

cool, i always tie up the food. i've had martin's try to get out them during winter.

I'll post pics and a report when we get back. (trip is late jan) thanks for all your help.