If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Favorite Views

Display photos or discuss photographic techniques and tips
noamichael

Favorite Views

Unread post by noamichael »

Hello, everyone!

I'm Michael, a photographer and avid hiker from Northern New Jersey. Just last year, I discovered the Catskill Mountains. My first hike was the northeastern section of Devil's Path - Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf and Plateau. That was, without a doubt, the hardest hike of my life. But I fell in love with the mountains that day, and I've now done 14 of the high peaks in total (3 were in the winter).

One of the biggest joys of hiking for me is the photography, and the Catskills offer so many spectacular spots. I could spend an entire day walking a riverside and finding intimate compositions. But what surprises me even more is how many open vistas there are from/near the summits. Below are a few of my favorite higher elevation views. Please click the descriptions below each image - it will take you to the Flickr page so you can view the full size image since the forum seems to be cropping each one.

Please let me know what you think! What are you favorite lookouts/ledges?

Wittenberg from Cornell.

Morning at Buck Ridge Lookout, West Kill Mountain

Peekamoose Panorama. We also did table the same day.

The Burroughs Range from the Hunter Mountain Firetower

Cloud Inversion while climbing Wittenberg
SNEAKers

Re: Favorite Views

Unread post by SNEAKers »

If anyone is viewing your photos on a mobile device (iPhone at least) they should click on your links to view the full photo. They are cut off on my phone.

The photos are awesome! Looks like you’ve done some hiking in the dark based on where you are at sunrise/sunset. Nothing better than watching a sunrise or sunset from a nice viewpoint! The eastern portion of Devil’s Path has some incredible viewpoints. I’m terms of favorite views, I’d have to say Wittenberg at sunrise is my favorite! I do that hike each year in August and it’s incredible!
noamichael

Unread post by noamichael »

I have done some hiking in the dark! Being 2.5 hours away, the drive consumes a lot of daylight. So I've started in the dark on a few occasions but I've yet to end in the dark to see a sunset. I hope that will change this summer. Wittenberg's summit was blew me away when I saw it the first time - I can see why it's your favorite. I can't decide between that, Panther, or West Kill. But there are many peaks I haven't done, so maybe I shouldn't pick yet. When I did Devil's path, it was extremely cloudy, so I missed out on most of the views. I hear Twin is spectacular, so I plan on doing that again as well.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Some how I missed this post. I like the first photo (Wittenberg & Cornell). Really nice. You should hike the Escarpment Trail. Great views everywhere.
CANOEBLAZER

Unread post by CANOEBLAZER »

Beautiful Work!