If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Catskills Climate / Recommended Months for Hiking

Discussions about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains. Post about your trip and experiences here.
SteveO

Catskills Climate / Recommended Months for Hiking

Unread post by SteveO »

Hi,

I live in Colorado and I've always been fascinated with mountains back east so I hope soon to do a hiking trip in the Catskills. I think it's the variety of trees, colors, and abundance of lakes that attracts me, along with the history. (Here in Colorado we have don't have a big variety in deciduous trees -- mainly aspens.)

Can anyone tell me what the climate is like? I imagine it to be fairly humid in the summer with a fair amount of insects buzzing around.

Is there a recommended month during the summer or fall when weather/length of day is optimum? I would like to do my hiking when the humidity is not so high.

Thank you very much in advance.

Steve Murphy
Parker CO
mtnclimber

Re: Catskills Climate / Recommended Months for Hiking

Unread post by mtnclimber »

May or June. Or, September or October. The foliage is exceptional. It is hotter then colorado, and much more humid. Many don't like to hike in July and August. The hiking is very different. No shortage of trees!

Do you have some hikes in mind?
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

I would come in September or October. By then it has cooled off enough that you will not be hot or cold. If you come around mid-oct you can see the leaves change. The Catskills are treed all the way to the top of the mountains. You have to get to the Adirondacks or White mountains to get tree-less summits. It is a lot different then colorado.
SteveO

Unread post by SteveO »

Thanks, bikenhike and mtnclimber.

Do I have any hikes in mind? No, none in mind right now, though I would like to take trails with vistas that open out on the mountains, where you can look out and seem them. I imagine there must be a lot of those. I have these pictures in mind of fall trees in many colors...

Treed all the way to the summit -- wonderful! Can't wait to see.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The Catskill Mtn do not have a lot of lakes. The Adirondacks do have a lot of lakes. Personally, I would come in the middle of October. The Fall foliage is spectacular. Every year is different, but it is unlike anywhere else in the world. The Catskills are a little bit warmer then the Colorado Mtns.

Are you day hiking or are going to backpack. The Eastern Escarpment has the best trails and views. Many spots are magical. In the Fall, this part of the Escarpment Trail is by far my favorite: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/WB-BH-AZ.html

If you want a nice 3-day backpack you can try this hike: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BP-ET.html

If you need a place to stay I would recommend the Winter Clove Inn.