If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

KHP - question

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
ssjamk65

KHP - question

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

I'm going to be in the Catskills for some hiking. I've never hiked KHP before and want to try and fit it in. After reading the guides on this website and much of the forum topics on KHP I was wondering if combining the "North Access" hike and the Viola Falls hike and ending in Palenville is realistic for a one day hike? There will be three of us hiking and we will be able to spot a car in Palenville. Based on the guides I would think the total mileage would be somewhere around 12, depending of course on any small side trips we take. ( Finding the plane crash sites, stopping at Poet's Ledge ). I appreciate any advice given.

Scott
rkugel

Re: KHP - question

Unread post by rkugel »

The hike to KHP and then all the waterfalls is certainly ambitious, but definitely within the realm of probability - especially if you wisely spot a car in Palenville. Some thoughts and suggestions:

1. Please consult the hiking guides posted on this website which will give you excellent directions and advice.

2. If you park in Palenville, please be sure to park in the small parking area on the north side of Route 23A (about a half a mile from the trail head). Do NOT park anywhere near the trail head. Your car will be ticketed and likely towed. For reasons only the residents know, hikers and tourists are not welcome in Palenville.

3. Get an early start. Besides the fact that the days are rapidly getting shorter, you'll also want plenty of time for rest breaks and to enjoy the spectacular scenery that awaits you.

4. The route you are proposing will add a lot of unnecessary mileage (ascending/descending KHP via the north side). A much shorter (though substantially more challenging) route is to bushwhack through the Mohawk Indian camp to the Snowmobile Trail (you will see the first of two plane wrecks along the way) and then ascend the south access to KHP. Please be cautioned the south access is exceedingly steep and several sections require the use of both hands and feet. The good news is it will easily trim 2 to 3 miles from your hike. If you ascend the south access, you will arrive at Hurricane Ledge, one of the best lookouts in all the Catskills. From there, it is another 15 minute walk to the actual summit. From the summit, you can either turn north and descend the north side, or make a side excursion by following a vague trail heading east, which will lead you to the second plane wreck and a spectacular (but dangerous!) ledge facing the east.

Good luck and please post a trip report if you go!
ssjamk65

Re: KHP - question

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

Thanks Rich. I had read about the parking situation in Palenville. I do like the idea of cutting off a few miles by going straight up to Hurricane Ledge. I will certainly post some reports when I get the chance. Thanks again.

Scott