If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Labor Day weekend hikes

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
TrunksWD

Labor Day weekend hikes

Unread post by TrunksWD »

I usually avoid hiking during holiday weekends, since the trails are quite crowded. However, my girlfriend wants to hike her very first high peak this weekend and I'm trying to figure out a good one. I'm going to assume Slide and Panther will be really crowded, but what about Blackhead or Indianhead? Any suggestions? I'm looking for a trailed high peak with good views and conifer trees.
SNEAKers

Re: Labor Day weekend hikes

Unread post by SNEAKers »

I'd suggest Plateau because it's a trailed high peak, with a beautiful walk for ~1 mile at the top. Great viewpoints and a little bit challenging. You can do two cars and start at the col between Sugarloaf and Plateau and exit into Devil's Tombstone to do a one way hike. Or you can do and up, across the top and back to the col.

Not sure where you will avoid the crowds this weekend.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Twin Mtn would wow her, but I am guessing that it would be quite crowded. If you go sunday, make sure you go early. Looks like it will rain later in the day. Or, you could go up Twin, and the go over to Indianhead and do the loop. If the mtn has a good view, expect it to be crowded.

You could also do Huntersfield. Not that many people with a nice view. Very easy hike.
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up hiking Indian Head. The parking lot was nearly full, but didn't see a lot of people on the trail. Most were headed toward Twin according to the sign in book.