If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

snow conditions at end of March?

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
daveoleary

snow conditions at end of March?

Unread post by daveoleary »

I am planning to head up to the Catskills at the end of March to continue chipping away at the last few on the 3500 list (Sherrill, North Dome, Doubletop). I have looked at the Feb/March weather reports and it looks like there has hardly been any snow, and the weather forecasts indicate very warm this week and next. In previous years, I have climbed in late March and needed snowshoes and footwear for ice, but perhaps not this year. If not snowy/icy, are the trails very muddy? Hints about trail status and projections for later this month are welcome. Thanks.
mike

Re: snow conditions at end of March?

Unread post by mike »

We have had very little snow this winter. But, we had a significant problem with ice buildup on the trails. I did a hike this past weekend and there was no snow or ice at all. But, it was facing south, so that helped. But, my guess is that by the end of the month everything will be gone. I would still bring microspikes.

If things continue, we will have a problem with fires this Spring. There was a fire a couple days ago that got out of hand and burned 2 acres. It could have turned into a forest fire.

But, everything could change in the next two weeks.
daveoleary

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on the weather and likely check in again as the trip dates get closer. The longer range forecast includes a few days of rain, so the trails might be muddy. I am still nailing down the exact schedule but if anyone is up for a hike on Thursday, March 24 or Friday, March 25, let me know, probably Halcott, Rusk, or North Dome.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Yes, the ice is finally melting. This past weekend, the ground was frozen, so we'll have to wait to see how much mud we are going to have. I would bring microspikes - just in case.
daveoleary

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely bring spikes. It looks like there is definitely no need for snowshoes, though, even up top, correct? Forecast indicates colder this weekend with possible snow, but warming up by the end of next week. Thanks!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Still some ice on some of the peaks. May get some snow this weekend. We have been carrying microspikes, and will continue to carry them for the next couple of weeks.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

just camped out on Table. We came up from peekamoose side. All trails were clear of ice and passable except in the col between Peek & Table. Because of it's north facing shade and the balsam firs there was still a bit of ice in that spot. We didn't need spikes could cross the ice on the roots. We had no "mud season" issues, no frost heaving or needle ice or punchy ground. Trails were a bit wet in some spots, but mostly hardened already. Hike was more like Late spring than end-of-winter conditions.

Another storm is supposed to be coming today or something.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We hiked the Huntersfield Loop on Saturday. It peaks at 3400+ feet. We had to use microspikes down the north side for about 1 mile.