If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Slide, Wittenberg, Cornell

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
preed

Slide, Wittenberg, Cornell

Unread post by preed »

A friend and I are planning on doing some hiking this summer. Looking into Slide, Wittenberg, and Cornell while camping at Woodland Valley. He is 30 and in decent shape, I am 50 and ok shape. If we could get a ride to west side of Slide mountain, do you think this hike is possible? Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
mike

Re: Slide, Wittenberg, Cornell

Unread post by mike »

Yes, can be done as a day hike. About 10-12 miles. but, it is a long day. there is some steep terrain.
Jon

Re: Slide, Wittenberg, Cornell

Unread post by Jon »

That hike is great, and with a car-drop at one of the parking lots makes a pretty good 1-way with some of the most fantastic views in the catskills.
I would suggest if you are going to camp at Woodland valley that you make sure to book a site in advance!
NY state DEC sites in the catskills reservations are made on Reserve America

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/w ... parkId=489

You will find a lot of weekends are booked out. I've camped there before it's a nice little campground.

If you can't get a site there are some backpacking options. If you climb slide mtn first: there is relatively low elevation backpacking sites on the northwest limb of slide mtn. right off of the trail. This one is usually for people who don't get there until late, and it gets dark before they summit. If you can get over the summit the other option is there are many many sites in between slide and Cornell. Then when you wake up you only have to climb Cornell and make the long way over to Witt and down to the valley.

If you climb Witt first there are plenty of places 150ft off the trail to setup a campsite. It is almost 4 miles from the campground to the summit that way. There is also the terrace lean-to a ways down the side-trail. Same also if you come from this side you can camp in the col if you can get over Witt & cornell before dark. Keep in mind though that Slide mtn is a shorter hike to the col than over witt.

A third option is to close the loop and camp somewhere up near the Giant's ledge. This turns the traverse into a longer hike, but up near Giant's ledge there's usually a flowing spring and plenty of marked campsites.