If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Advice on snowshoes?

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Jon

Re: Advice on snowshoes?

Unread post by Jon »

kennykb wrote:Ask two hikers, get three opinions. :?

I wonder if it tilts the scales any that I already have microspikes and use them occasionally even for my daily commute? (Using crampons on an asphalt bike trail with patches of ice would, I imagine, be very bad for both the crampon and the asphalt!) I'm not planning at the moment to do anything like shinnying up the Cornell Crack when it's iced over.
Yah I'm not trying to say that if you have microspikes to throw them out. I'm just saying that if you haven't bought them I don't find them a worthwhile investment. If you've got them you probably won't need crampons. If you don't have either yet, I'm sure you will get more utility out of a pair of crampons. That's my opinion.

Also that crampon use isn't specifically unsafe, and their use does not require the use of a rope. Not being familiar with the capabilities and use of the equipment is what is going to get you into trouble more than just making a blanket statement that use of one piece of equipment requires use of another.

Like most people will tell you in the winter to use poles. I never use poles, as I feel I burn more calories whipping them around and will fatigue faster. I know people say they save your knees, or whatever, but I'd rather be able to make it out with energy to spare, than to bonk 2 miles from the car. Only times I've ever bonked is when I've tried using poles. Sometimes the extra sturdy will help, but like 75% of the time you're just swinging around useless weight, and burning glycogen without it adding to the hike. Like mike said it's personal preference.
mike wrote:For me, as soon as it snows, my snowshoes go on and don't come off until Spring.
anyone else get visions of Mike sitting on his couch watching TV in his snowshoes?
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

I have a pair of red feathers - love them....I actually called up the company and had them recommend to me which ones to get based on my height/weight, if I had a pack, and what I was primarily doing with them and where (kind of snow/depth)....I thought that was really helpful....then I ordered them off sierra trading post for cheap.

spadout is another great gear site if you havent heard of it before.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Jon wrote:Also that crampon use isn't specifically unsafe, and their use does not require the use of a rope. Not being familiar with the capabilities and use of the equipment is what is going to get you into trouble more than just making a blanket statement that use of one piece of equipment requires use of another.
That's not what Mike or I said. I said that anyplace I wouldn't feel comfortable in spikes is getting close to where I wouldn't feel comfortable on ice without techinical gear. Obviously there's a big range of conditions where either crampons or spikes will work, and no rope is needed.
Jon wrote:Like most people will tell you in the winter to use poles. I never use poles, as I feel I burn more calories whipping them around and will fatigue faster.
I could stand to burn a few extra calories :oops: and my knees have been weak for years (trashed one in a climbing accident almost 40 years ago, and the other in a slip&fall in my own driveway about 8 years ago). I use poles on rocky trails, winter or summer. To each his own.
mike wrote:For me, as soon as it snows, my snowshoes go on and don't come off until Spring.
Jon wrote:anyone else get visions of Mike sitting on his couch watching TV in his snowshoes?
I do now. The crampons are bad for the carpet.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.