If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

GNP - Day 5

Discussion of Glacier National Park in NW Montana. The hiking mecca of the world
mike

GNP - Day 5

Unread post by mike »

When I woke up, it was raining out. The forecast was that there would be thunderstorms and rain most of the day. I packed up and planned on moving over to the east side of the park. Maybe I could get a room at Many Glaciers? I headed over the Going-to-the-Sun Road. It poured rain the entire way. When I drove up the road to Many Glacier Hotel, the rain had stopped with a break in the clouds.

When I got to the hotel, there were not rooms, and no possibility of getting a room. Disappointed. My plan was to hike up to Appikuni Falls if it cleared up a bit. With it clearing up for a bit, I headed over to the Falls. I hit a Marmot Jam. People clogged up the road while watching a marmot. After getting through, I parked at the last parking space.

I hiked up the trail. There were a lot of people out. But, virtually none of them were hikers. It didn't take long to arrive at the Falls. I took some pictures and headed back. There was still a lot of haze over the valley. As I drove away, a new set of storms were rolling in. I got a little lucky to get a short hike in.

When I arrived back at the car I decided to drive back to Great Falls to get the car fixed. I drove most of the ways to Great Falls, but decided to stay in Choteau. Real nice hotel at a cheap price.

Appikuni Falls

View over the Swiftcurrent Valley - Many Glaciers Hotel - New storm rolling in

mtnclimber

Re: GNP - Day 5

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Looking forward to the rest of the trip.