If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Sedona Arizona

Discussion of hiking in the Western part of the United States
ssjamk65

Sedona Arizona

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

My wife had the chance to attend a medical conference out in Scottsdale during the last week of Feb. We decided to take a few extra days and head up to Sedona for some hiking. After reading trail reports on this forum about hiking in Death Valley and other people mentioning hiking "Red Rock Country", we just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sedona is roughly a two hour drive from Phoenix, and well worth it. Such a beautiful area, every direction you look seems to have an amazing view. The town of Sedona sits at about 4000ft. in elevation so the temps were ideal for hiking. ( Low 40's in the morning up to mid 50's in the afternoon). Hiking is pretty big business in that area. There are several zones that require a $5 pass to park at the trail heads, which are only good for 1 day. Certain other trails can cost up to $9 per vehicle or $2 per person to walk in. They even have credit card Kiosk in the parking areas where you can purchase your day pass. ( Most hotels sell them at the front desk as well.) There are plenty of free hiking areas as well, which we took great advantage of. We were there a little too early to catch any spring flowers but the colors of the rocks more than made up for it. There was still some snow in the canyons and on the north facing walls.

While there we hiked Cathedral Mountain, Fay Canyon, Devils Bridge, and the Mescal Mt. trail which brought you past indian cliff-dwelling sites. I found that some trails like Cathedral were well marked, others like Mescal not so much.

I highly reccommend the area if you get a chance to go there.

Scott
cathedral-5x.JPG
cathedral-1x.JPG
cathedral-2x.JPG
cathedral-3x.JPG
cathedral-4x.JPG
cathedral-6x.JPG
fayCanyon-1x.JPG
DevBridge-1x.JPG
DevBridge-2x.JPG
DevBridge-3x.JPG
Mescal-1x.JPG
Mescal-2x.JPG
Mescal-3x.JPG
Mescal-4x.JPG
Mescal-5x.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: Sedona Arizona

Unread post by mike »

Awesome pictures. Looks like the weather was good too. Probably the right temperature.
SNEAKers

Re: Sedona Arizona

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Looks like a great time... I'm jealous ;)

I've heard so much about Sedona, but haven't seen many pictures, so thanks for sharing. I would definitely like to get there sometime during a trip to the southwest.

Cathedral 2 and 4 and Dev Bridge 2 are really awesome!