If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Zion National Park

Discussion of hiking in the Western part of the United States
SNEAKers

Zion National Park

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Im planning to do a combination Las Vegas and Zion National Park trip in early May this year. I've done a ton of research and decided on the West Rim trail from the Lava Point Campground down to Angel's landing over two days. The third day I'll do the Emerald Pools and maybe Weeping Rock.

Anyone done this route before? Have any pictures or stories? I'm counting the days until May!
mike

Re: Zion National Park

Unread post by mike »

I have never hiked in Zion NP. But, I have hiked a little bit around Las Vegas. Heat was one issue. I found the heat a real problem for me. But, I don't like the heat. Sometimes the wind can also be an issue. No matter which trails you pick, you should have a good time.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

i'm sorry but i'm used to NE weather. Two places, beautiful in their own part but I utterly despise the weather and will never go back:
nevada/utah
New Orleans (too humid)

went to Bryce and Zion. Were great but the heat ruined it for me. I can take 90's and such, not 125 in the shade. Las vegas is wonderful city but same thing I think the heat spoiled it for me. Scenery is fantastic, it's like roy rogers. I'd say Bryce >Zion but that's just cause those hoodoos are so dang cool.

I was much younger and I don't remember what part exactly we went to in each park but we saw a good majority of them, and day-hiked most. I can say May sounds like the desert will be a whole lot more tolerable than July when I went.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I hiked around Las Vegas around the May time frame. After a convention, I did some hiking. I headed up to the eastern escarpment of the Sierra's. It is cool with snow. You can also fly up to Reno very cheaply. Lots of good hiking up there. But, if it is cool then you might head up to Bryce or Zion. Just depends upon how well you can handle the heat.

I came thru Death Valley once in April and it was 105 degrees. Just never know down there. Whatever you do, have a good time.