If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bare Rock 1/27/13

Discussion of hiking from Maine to Florida
Jon

Bare Rock 1/27/13

Unread post by Jon »

view from Bare Rock at sunset. It's along the eastern shore of Greenwood Lake
SNEAKers

Re: Bare Rock 1/27/13

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Great shots, Jon... Love the look of the clouds! Is this in New Jersey?
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Thank you I'm glad you like them =)

A bit about the hike I wasn't feeling in a "typing" mood when I posted them:

This spot is actually in NY. It's only a 30 min drive from my town to get there though. Greenwood lake straddles the NY/NJ border with 1/2 the lake in each state. Most of the time I will hike up the western shore, along the "state line" trail, which is cunningly named since it follows the state line. However it stays pretty much in NJ once you get up to the top. The Appalachian trail meets up with the state-line trail and follows the western flank of the lake on top of Bearfort ridge. The Bearfort ridgeline is the one that I'm looking at in photo #2 above, with the cool clouds that were dancing above it. That is a very popular hike in NY/NJ, it's short and has a great view.

Bare Rock where we got these shots from, is on the eastern side and about 3/4 of the way "up" the lake. It's technically in the Sterling Forest trail network, however we did not access the trail via that parking lot, we parked along Eastshore rd at a small parking area (P14 on the NY-NJTC Map#100 Sterling Forest Trails) that is very close to the NJ border. From there it's only about 6.5 miles round trip, over fairly level ground. It's just north of that parking lot and is marked as "bare rock" and has a viewpoint star near it on the trailmap. My trailmap is the older one and doesn't show the trail heading to the viewpoint, but if you get the newest map there's a new Orange trail that we took. It's not as popular as the State-line hike, but it offers a view toward the south and west, which is better for sunset shots.

The first shot you see above is looking south down the lake, and the lights at the very end of the lake are in West Milford, NJ

Here is a shot of the Village of Greenwood Lake, NY which we are closer to.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The first shot is awesome. I just love the sky. The swirling blue and white with the reds from the sunset are just incredible!