If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Wyanokie Hi-Point 2-12-2012

Discussion of hiking from Maine to Florida
Jon

Wyanokie Hi-Point 2-12-2012

Unread post by Jon »

At the recommendation of Rich, I decided to do a little hike around the Wyanokies, and make sure I go to the Hi-Point. It's not really the high point, I don't think it's even the 4th highest point of the Wyanokie micro-range, however it's pretty bare and has a spectacular view.

I started out at the Otterhole as I always do. Despite the fact that parking at Weis Ecology, and hiking in from the north is probably an easier way to reach the high point, I needed some time myself.

Here is my GPS track, the parking lot is in the bottom left, near the little pond and the road. This is the middle (2nd) parking area along Glewnwild Road, by the border of Bloomingdale and West Milford.

I hiked counterclockwise around this loop you see above.

The rock-hop of the Otterhole. (don't try it in highwater)

The otterhole

Here is where the Highlands trail begins the ascent of Cariss hill

there are some views of Wyanokie Torne mountain behind me

There is quite a lot of mountain laurel forests that you travel through on the summits of these mountains. Some of them can get quite thick.

I actually found some snow!!!!

This is right near the summit. I love these pines.

View from summit of Cariss hill

After heading further up the Highlands trail, here is my first good view of the bald face of the Wyanokie Highpoint. This shot is from yoohoo point

heading my way?

View Southeast from Wyanokie High Point (no shots of me it was too windy)

View East (Windbeam mountain, another of my favorite NJ climbs)

In this shot, you can make out NYC, and just to the left of New York on the horizon, is the triple peaked, Preakness Mountain. My house is just on the other side of this mountain. Also in the mid shot, route 287 is visible as it bridges out over the wanaque valley.

Back on the trail, here is the intersection with the outlaw trail

I didn't take many other shots on the way back to the car. I was going to visit the valley of giants on the north end of Buck Mountain but was running out of time and didn't feel like the full traverse of Buck. I took the green trail through the valley back to the otterhole and back to my car. All together it was 5 miles, and a wonderful day!

NJOY
rkugel

Re: Wyanokie Hi-Point 2-12-2012

Unread post by rkugel »

Jon,

Thanks so much for posting your trip report to Wyanokie High Point. Glad you had a great day. My sister used to live just up the road from the Weis Ecology Center. Almost every weekend, I would stop by for a visit, and then take her German Shepherd with me for a long hike through the woods. I haven't been there in years (since my sister moved) and your photographs sure brought back a lot of fun memories!

Rich