If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Noonmark Mtn - Aug 13th

Any discussions of the Adirondack Mountains.
mike

Noonmark Mtn - Aug 13th

Unread post by mike »

Every summer I visit the ADK's at my sisters house outside of Schroon Lake. Invariably, there are always hikes being scheduled. For the past couple of years, I have wanted to hike Noonmark Mtn. But, each time, something comes up and it gets canceled. This summer I decided that I wasn't going to let anything get in my way. On Saturday, I headed out for Noonmark in Keene at 7 am. Got to the TH around 7:30 am. The PA was already half full from overnight hikers. I was one the first hiker of the day to register for the Dix trail/noonmark.

I walked up the road and headed up the trail. It was cool at about 60 degrees, but it was damp and no wind. No one was ahead of me, so I took my time. The trail was a little steeper then I had expected, but that was okay. The views started to appear about 1/3 of the way up. When I got closer to the top, the views got better-and-better. The trail was a little steep in places. There were some solid rock climbs. Some of the rock was wet and a little dangerous. There was also a rock climbing section.

When I got to the top, I had a nice 360 degree view. Great views. Here are a few pictures:

View of St Huberts Hotel from the 1st good viewpoint.

View of the adjacent mountain range.

1st ladder - about 5' high.

View just below the summit.

2nd ladder - below the summit - about 10' high

Top of a rock climbing section

360 view from the summit

Another view from the summit
SNEAKers

Re: Noonmark Mtn - Aug 13th

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Looks like a successful day! The ladders are really cool looking, seems like they would be fun to climb... Do you know what the adjacent mountain range is called? They look like they could be a challenge to go from peak to peak on!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think they are called the Gothics with lower and upper wolfjaw mtn, armstrong mtn, gothics mtn, etc. There is a trail that runs across the ridge line.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

The pictures are stunningly gorgeous! What a view! Thanks as always for sharing. By any chance, were you able to see Mount Marcy from the summit of Noonmark?

Rich K.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The 4th picture down is my favorite. I don't think you can see it from the summit, but I may be wrong.
thedoughnut

Unread post by thedoughnut »

mike wrote:I think they are called the Gothics with lower and upper wolfjaw mtn, armstrong mtn, gothics mtn, etc. There is a trail that runs across the ridge line.
It's called the Great Range, which includes: Lower Wolfjaw, Upper Wolfjaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Basin, Saddleback, and Haystack. I've only done the Wolfjaws, Armstrong, and Gothics. Haystack has one of the best views in the High Peaks, so I plan to finish my 46 on it, but I still have a ways to go. Below is a link to some of my ADK hikes.
http://www.hikeadks.com/index.php?optio ... temId=8699