If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Greetings

Chat about the Catskill Mountains in general.
jk666

Greetings

Unread post by jk666 »

Hi, my name is Jeff Kent from Mt. Kisco, NY and I started hiking in the lower Hudson Valley a couple years ago. I started as a way to get my kids (ages 15, 11, 7) outside, but soon realized that I wanted to hike more than a couple easy miles so I set out on my own. Between work (Northern Westchester Hospital & Mt. Kisco Food Pantry), a wife, three kids and a mother-in-law I don't get out as often as I'd like. When I do it's usually just local or maybe up to Bear Mt./Hudson Highlands. I'm not super hiker and stick to day hikes under 10 miles.

This year I want to get up to the Catskills do hike some of the higher peaks. I know it's going to be a logistical nightmare, but I hope to get up there a few times at least.

First on my list is Slide Mt. and Giant Ledge. If I get back I want to tackle Indian Head and Twin Mt. on the Devil's Path. Is it wise to to Devil's Path solo my first time, or should I find a partner to go with?

I look forward to reading the forum and gaining a lot of knowledge about hiking in the Catskills.
Birdman

Re: Greetings

Unread post by Birdman »

Welcome. There are a lot of great folks in this forum. There is a wealth of trails,gear,Catskill nature,etc knowledge that the group shares. I live in Saugerties and belong to the Rip Van Winkle Hikers. We have monthly hikes and I do go solo sometimes. My goal myself is to hook up with some of the people here this year. Regards, Ed
mike

Re: Greetings

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum. Both Slide and Giant Ledge are both excellent hikes. Indian Head and Twin are both good hikes. Twin is especially nice. You shouldn't have a problem doing it solo. Most hikes in the Catskills are under 10 miles, so it should work out well for you. My favorite place to hike is the Eastern Escarpment. You might like the Hunter Loop too.